Thread: Medals

Default Medals

Having railroaded for a long time, I collect Euro RR memorabilia. Of a military RR nature is this set of WW2 Reichbahn items.

IMG_0199 (2).jpg

Languishing in the lower right corner is a WW1 French Verdun medal. No room for it in my French medal shadow box and I couldn't just leave it collect dust on a shelf.

IMG_0200 (2).JPG

From my assortment of other French medals is this one that appears to have been from what French vets called an "old sweat". Literally, in this case.

IMG_0204 (2).JPG

Hung on the wall nearby is this WW2 grouping I bought in a manila envelope for change. I'm not sure what all of it means, but of interest is the "aerial gunner" tab.

IMG_0207 (2).JPG

I've got a bunch of this sort of thing. Not wanting to load up the forum with pics all at once, I'll post it here & there as space allows and I'm not interrupting conversations of the regulars. Steve

Okay, these really aren't military in nature, but they do go with the DRB memorabilia shown above.

This box is mostly French - a little Belgian national railway. Attached to the Roskopf conductor's watch is a dedicated RR fob and chain.
    IMG_0260.JPG

Closer view of the watch. It keeps time, but I've never carried it.
    IMG_0261 (2).JPG

This box is mostly Belgian and the majority is from the railway in the Congo. Both table medals are made of native copper from Katanga province.
    IMG_0263 (2).JPG

When I started railroading as a brakie, wifey got me a pocket watch. It only took 2 days of climbing cars and cranking handbrakes to see it wouldn't last long. After that, I went with a cheap Casio I taped up and just stuffed in a pocket. Kept excellent time! SW

Very interesting, thank you for showing them.