Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

The bull should be thankful it's not coming out the other end.

"...it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys, that 2 wheel bike!..." (Little Honda by Beach Boys)
    pic1.jpg

"Ha! Early birds get worms - early possums clean out the bird feeder!"
    pic2 (2).jpg

This truck's name is 'Bite Me, Greta!'
    pic3.jpg

"I don't care about the sports section - just hand me out the funnies!"
    pic4.jpg

"You're cheating! I'm not sure how, but you are!"
    pic5 (2).jpg

#4. A life I never had to live. Once very common place. I pity those who had to endure.

It wasn't as bad as all that... except during snow storms. I attended country school in the 50s, and it seemed like we hit the big time when the school got indoor plumbing in '57. SW

We often heard that people kept Sears catalogs in the outhouse to use as toilet paper. I recently read where instead the pages were ripped out and lit, then held underneath the edge of the "hole" to chase spiders away. Maybe it was used for both?

My Mother always lived here in the deep South and complained about how cold it was during cold weather and how bad it was having to go out at night.

Blog Entries

grand parents owned a house that still had the outhouse (torn down after grandpa died, when grandma moved back in it,
    it had pluming (kitchen and bathroom) added back in the 40's or so,

the farmhouse they were living in (a couple miles away) was renovated in the 20's to add a kitchen and a bathroom,

no heat, other that wood (1, in the living roon) and oil (2, in in the master bedroom, another in the bathroom) stoves, and none of those were upstairs , so if you had to go, you crawled out from under 2-5 quilts, used the honey pot, and got back in your warm spot,

as a kid, in the summer, if you had to wee, you stepped out the big window or door on the backside of the house and wee'd on the roof, or used a jar

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    grand parents owned a house that still had the outhouse (torn down after grandpa died, when grandma moved back in it,
    it had pluming (kitchen and bathroom) added back in the 40's or so,

the farmhouse they were living in (a couple miles away) was renovated in the 20's to add a kitchen and a bathroom,

no heat, other that wood (1, in the living roon) and oil (2, in in the master bedroom, another in the bathroom) stoves, and none of those were upstairs , so if you had to go, you crawled out from under 2-5 quilts, used the honey pot, and got back in your warm spot,

as a kid, in the summer, if you had to wee, you stepped out the big window or door on the backside of the house and wee'd on the roof, or used a jar
    Plumbing in an outhouse wouldn't be a bad thing and a lot of the "old timers" preferred they were detached from the main house.

Being a boy and a kid I remember peeing off the back porch a lot. Didn't have to--just wanted to.

Rumor has it that during the civil war, when the South was being overrun by the Union soldiers they would throw all their valuables down the hole in the outhouses knowing no one would look for things there. I've heard of more than one person who has dug up sterling silver platters and other stuff that was never reclaimed.

Blog Entries

I know a few guys that dig, as in metal detectors ,

if they can find an area or spot were an outhouse was, the dig it out,

and find all kinds of stuff around it,

Seagulls are jerks!
    pic2.jpg

"Move it, chickens - scooter gang coming through!"
    pic3.jpg

"That's my uncle Dave!"
    pic4.jpg

"Now if there were some pretzels or chips nearby, I'd have it made!"
    pic5.jpg

Meanwhile, in Oz...
    pic6.jpg

Squirrels (and snakes) get into every thing.