Thread: Stock Question

Default Stock Question

Picked up an Inland marked stock with cartouche. The ord wheel is light but can be seen. Over all is a nice bare bones (no metal) stock. The down side is it has a crack on the side that has been repaired. Paid $5.00 OTD. Did I pay to much??
    Carbinestock 1.jpg

Carbinestock 2.jpg

Carbinestock 3.jpg
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Forty-Two views and nobody has an opinion?
    FBI Rangemaster

Well, not pristine but any stock with original markings are drying up.

$5 is firewood cost. You did well.

4. Default M1 Carbine Stock Repair

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Forty-Two views and nobody has an opinion?
    I have repaired many stocks over the years. From what I can see in the picture, It looks to be repairable. But it won't be easy. The problem is getting the crack opened up enough to get some good, fast drying glue inside for most of the length of the crack. Try to open up the crack by hand (bending and twisting). Be careful though, so you don't make the crack worse or longer. Then use a slow setting super glue to insert. Then quickly put it in a padded vise to close the crack back up and let it dry. You might be able to glue this from both outside and inside. If you get the glue in unwanted places, don't worry about it as it can sanded off, before refinishing. If all this doesn't work for you, I will give you your money back for it. Good luck

Allen,

Thank you for the reply. I figured it was worth more than $5.00.

AJ
    FBI Rangemaster

It looks repairable to me. Biggest issue might be if oil or grease has seeped into the crack. That could hinder the epoxy glue from bonding the wood. You might need to clean out the crack area with a solvent like acetone before trying to glue the crack. You did very good for $5.00.

Quote Originally Posted by leecorky View Post
    I have repaired many stocks over the years. From what I can see in the picture, It looks to be repairable. But it won't be easy. The problem is getting the crack opened up enough to get some good, fast drying glue inside for most of the length of the crack. Try to open up the crack by hand (bending and twisting). Be careful though, so you don't make the crack worse or longer. Then use a slow setting super glue to insert. Then quickly put it in a padded vise to close the crack back up and let it dry. You might be able to glue this from both outside and inside. If you get the glue in unwanted places, don't worry about it as it can sanded off, before refinishing. If all this doesn't work for you, I will give you your money back for it. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
    It looks repairable to me. Biggest issue might be if oil or grease has seeped into the crack. That could hinder the epoxy glue from bonding the wood. You might need to clean out the crack area with a solvent like acetone before trying to glue the crack. You did very good for $5.00.

I forgot to say the cracked stock had been repaired in the past. Whoever did it did a pretty fair job. It has been pinned and glued. The stock does not move when I squeezed it in that area. The outside of the crack is noticeable, the pins that were installed look pretty well done to me. Sorry, if I misled anyone that was not my intent.
    Carbinestock 4.jpg

Carbinestock 5.jpg

Carbinestock 6.jpg
    FBI Rangemaster

If I saw that stock at a show, I would not buy it for $5. Any carbine you put that on will look worse even it it is the "correct" stock. It may be possible to refinish the stock and try to hide the repair better, in which case it would definitely work out in the end, but I suspect the seller was happy to get a free McDonald's breakfast sandwich out of the deal. That said, I understand that $5 would be worth it to a lot of people, but just not me.