One of my previous employers (a Mom and Pop outfit) bought several used safes including a couple of cement filled (?) filing cabinets. The largest safe was about 5 or 6 feet tall. We had to move it about using hand dollies, a pallet jack and a large forklift. The forklift was capable of picking up the largest safe but we still had to raise the safe enough to get the forks underneath.

The hand dollies were useless and we bent a very heavy duty pallet jack almost to the point of being useless as well. The large safe could not be opened. Tale has it that these large old safes have some kind of glass ring inside the door surrounding the mechanical mechanism. If the safe ever falls over it usually breaks this ring and prevents the combination from working. I think the ring prevents a thief from being about to drill into the lock as well. We all suspected this had happened to this safe in it's previous life. It had to be sent off to a company that specialized in these type repairs.

We never saw the safe again and didn't miss it. The cement filled (?) fire resistant filing cabinets were placed in one to the offices where a lot of women worked. Being women they had to have us move these extremely heavy filing cabinets nearly every day. I think we finally placed them somewhere else.