Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Inbound 5.4M Springfield

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 5.4M Springfield that is inbound - I won't have it for a few days. But judging from what appears to be cosmoline in the internals, and the late serial number, I'm wondering if this might be one of those Greek returns from several years ago?

DeWayne

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 1.47.48 PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, the DAS is on its side. I'll provide better pics when the rifle is in hand.

2. Default

I was in the CMP warehouse in Anniston about 3 years ago. They had just got in about 180,000 rifles from Philippines and Turkey. It's most likely one of those.

I never got any rifle with more than just a trace of cosmoline. How do you know it will have cosmo in it?

Greek rifles came back like 20 years ago. Pretty sure they're long gone. I don't think you can tell anything from the SN. Some of my Greeks were early and some were H&Rs. Every one of my Greeks had the word "Greek" on the accompanying certificate. I don't think they'll send you a Greek without identifying it as such.

3. Default

This isn't coming from the CMP - it's from an internet gun seller, so the rifle has probably been in private hands for some time.

I saw lots of pictures - the trigger group appeared to have some cosmoline on it as did the receiver legs.

The interesting thing about 5.4's is that at 5,488,246 SA markings stopped and HRA began right at 5,488,247. I don't have any records of rifles real close to that transition.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

5. Default

A few more pics. This is why I'm wondering if it's one of those pretty much unissued Greek returns, as there is lots of cosmoline and the butt plate's only wear looks like rack wear.

Receiver.jpg

Trigger Group.jpg

Butt.jpg

Serial.jpg

Sideways DAS.jpg
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 03-25-2023 at 01:13.

You have a very nice SA 5.4 coming into your possession. Of course, pictures and data sheet are obligatory!!! Range report for vicarious enjoyment would be a real treat. Enjoy! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Very crisp. The closest rifle I see is 5,443,711 Im empty. CMP handle. No other imformation.

8. Default

Sorry, I'm not following you: "Im empty. CMP handle." ???

I have collected lots of serial numbers. I'm empty- is the individuals user name on the CMP website. There used to be sites that kept records of many hundreds of Garands. Probably thousands.
    Of course some of the rifles that were on lists could have changed hands numerous times over the years. There's a rifle two digits away from yours floating around out there somewhere.
    I ran across a consecutive of my early HRA. Me and the owner exchanges photos and descriptions of condition. A few years later I sold my rifle to him.
    Last edited by dryheat; 03-26-2023 at 10:29.

10. Default

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. Just two digits before mine. Interesting.

Thanks,
    DeWayne