Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Guys, I received the rifle today, and spent hours cleaning all the cosmoline out of it. I completely stripped the rifle to the smallest part and used boiling water to remove all the cosmoline - I did that to a rifle once many years ago, and it was just as painstaking and dirty a process as I remember!

BUT - I am well pleased. I really think I have gotten ahold of a 5.4M Springfield that went somewhere and sat in storage for years, never fired outside of Springfield proof firing. There was cosmoline everywhere, including saturating the operating rod and spring. Moreover, the breech looks pristine, as do the bolt face and op rod piston. I tend to believe this rifle probably went to Greece and was never used. Whatever the story, the lockup pressure from the trigger guard is good, and I have every hope she will be a good shooter. I do, indeed, plan to shoot her. She's got enough minor stock scrapes and dings to not be a museum piece, so I figure she will be a great "one gun Garand collection" for me. I've had several over the years, but this is the only one I own currently, and don't plan on buying any more.

Anyway, here are the pics I took during the cleaning ordeal!

DeWayne

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

2. Default

Guys, I find myself in a curious predicament. As I am now more certain than ever this rifle was never fired after leaving Springfield Armory, I now have a hard time bringing myself to shoot it! My rationale is this - I only want one Garand to represent the breed, and this is something of a rare bird being in minty condition. So, if I start putting rounds through it and find it's not a very good shooter - what have I done? I'm certainly not going to do anything to accurize it, and I will have stripped it of its "unfired condition" and have a poor shooting rifle that is worth much less than I paid for it. So, kind of a gamble. Just as an example, the rear hand guard presses right up against the receiver, and it's commonly accepted that the best accuracy is obtained when the rear hand guard is released a bit to not fit tightly against the receiver. I'm certainly not taking a file or sandpaper to this wood!

All this is to say, I'm considering selling it. If any of you are interested in it, PM me and I'll tell you what I paid and what I'd let it go for.

Thanks,
    DeWayne
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 04-02-2023 at 08:16.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne Hayes View Post
    Hi guys,

I just purchased a 5.4M Springfield that is inbound - I won't have it for a few days. But judging from what appears to be cosmoline in the internals, and the late serial number, I'm wondering if this might be one of those Greek returns from several years ago?

DeWayne

Attachment 51823

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, the DAS is on its side. I'll provide better pics when the rifle is in hand.
    The pristine Greek rifles were slathered in a pink / red grease, not cosmoline. I not sure if anyone other than the Greeks used that pink grease.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne Hayes View Post
    Guys, I find myself in a curious predicament. As I am now more certain than ever this rifle was never fired after leaving Springfield Armory, I now have a hard time bringing myself to shoot it! My rationale is this - I only want one Garand to represent the breed, and this is something of a rare bird being in minty condition. So, if I start putting rounds through it and find it's not a very good shooter - what have I done? I'm certainly not going to do anything to accurize it, and I will have stripped it of its "unfired condition" and have a poor shooting rifle that is worth much less than I paid for it. So, kind of a gamble. Just as an example, the rear hand guard presses right up against the receiver, and it's commonly accepted that the best accuracy is obtained when the rear hand guard is released a bit to not fit tightly against the receiver. I'm certainly not taking a file or sandpaper to this wood!

All this is to say, I'm considering selling it. If any of you are interested in it, PM me and I'll tell you what I paid and what I'd let it go for.

Thanks,
    DeWayne
    To summarize, you viewed this gorgeous rifle on the internet, purchased it, and spent hours cleaning it up, now it seems you have lost your passion for this rifle, which was supposed to be your one and only, and want to sell it thinking that you will
    either devalue it by shooting, or that it will not live up to your expectations as a shooter. This predicament of yours is indeed curious and in fact bizarre from where I'm sitting.

First of all, your rifle in that condition is not an extremely rare bird. They can be found regularly, albeit at a high price. Secondly, yes it's in very minty condition, but that should not be a negative. It's what you should want as your one Garand, and lastly, you should not need to worry yourself about accuracy issues. Given the tight lockup and minty barrel it should do just fine, in fact more than just fine.

If this is not going to be your one and only because it's too minty, what are you going to do? Go looking for a more used example that may not shoot as well? I don't think that will turn out very well for you.

If you would have left it alone in it's grease packed condition, you might be able to get more for it and it would have kept more of that "unfired condition" look to it. Now that you've cleaned it, you've probably already devalued it to where casually shooting it would not devalue it much more if at all.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-07-2023 at 12:07.

TSimonetti, very well expressed.. Thanks! I was thinking the same thing but I couldn’t come up with the correct wording… I don’t understand his thinking or motives…
    John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

6. Default

Fair and valid points, all, but the condescending tone is unnecessary.

Hi DeWayne, nice Garand you picked up there. You gonna make it back to Lynden anytime soon? Maybe we could meet up at Dave's or the Dutch Treat
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Blog Entries

not knowing what you have in it but knowing what they sell for in various conditions in this area (mid atlantic, east coast) I say since you have it cleaned, and hopefully properly greased\lubed correctly,
    grab a bando of enblocs and see how it shoots,

no harm done, value wise, honestly now, if you put a clip or 6 thru it