Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Lots of reading.

The older gun magazines ('80s and '90s) had a lot of reloading instruction in them. Then I read ABC's of Reloading, then Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

Bought a Lee Hand Press and a set of Lee .30-30 dies (both used) and jumped in with both feet. Eventually i worked up to a Lee Challenger press, then a Lee Turret press.

2. Default

I also have Mr. Lee's book.
    Jouster was a major factor for me, learning to reload.

3. Default

Before I learned to reload I had to know what was happening to the case when being sized. I started by scribing lines around the case at the case body/shoulder juncture and at the datum on the shoulder. The scribed lines became artifacts, the artifacts indicated to me I was not pushing the shoulder back, as I sized the case the scribed lines moved toward the mouth of the case; meaning I was not moving the shoulder back while sizing the case. Before that I already knew there was 'bump', bump was a function of the cam over press-only. The non cam over press did not bump.

And not everything is a head space gage and everything does not haver head space. SAAMI says my cases do not have head space. I accept that. I never jumped onto the 'bump wagon'. The only bumping going on is when the cam over press changes direction; that change of directions is referred to as being 'bump'.

And then there is seating the bullet off or to the rifling. A few believe it takes too much time to type the instructions or they believe it is complicated; I make a transfer, everyone else has to purchase a work bench full of tools. I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get.

F Guffey

when i was in the Air Force a civvie i met was a shooter and he introduced me to USPSA (US version/arm of IPSC). we both shot revolvers although most everyone was shooting 1911s in some manner.

i was buying my ammo from him for pretty cheap and as long as i returned the cases he didnt mind. well he only had a couple of single stage RCBSs and i stopped over one day when he was loading so he showed me what he was doing, how he was doing it and i just jumped in and helped.

i didnt get my own real set up until about 4 years later after i had separated. i DID have one of those Lee Loaders and i bought a pound (metal can) of powder long before meeting this guy but never even attempted it because it looked like a lot of work for very little gain. i gave him the powder and then i think the Loader got tossed after 2 attempts to sell it at a garage sale

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Before I learned to reload I had to know what was happening to the case when being sized. I started by scribing lines around the case at the case body/shoulder juncture and at the datum on the shoulder. The scribed lines became artifacts, the artifacts indicated to me I was not pushing the shoulder back, as I sized the case the scribed lines moved toward the mouth of the case; meaning I was not moving the shoulder back while sizing the case. Before that I already knew there was 'bump', bump was a function of the cam over press-only. The non cam over press did not bump.

F Guffey
    When I set up my Lee dies for full-length resize, I do it by Lee's instructions.

However, when I'm only neck sizing, I use a black water-based market to color the case neck down to the shoulder. As I adjust the die, it rubs the marker off the neck so I can keep an accurate account of how far down to set the die.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain

6. Default

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain
    I started many years ago, back then reloaders used bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get, and now they use tension, I am the only reloader that has tension gages, all of my tension gages measure in pounds. Neck sizing reduces the diameter of the neck, reduces the diameter of the neck increases bullet hold, I do not use a marker because I can feel the reduction in the diameter of the neck.

F. Guffey

Pretty much learned myself. Bought a copy of Maj. George C. Nonte's book, Modern Handloading, and took it from there. I was about 15 at the time.

8. Default

Lots of books & A Lyman tong tool. Small batches as I learned so I had few mistakes to correct when I messed up.
    This was before the Lee classic whack-a-mole was invented!

9. Default

15 years old, that was a good start; at 14 I was at Fort Hood getting my License for 4X4s, 6X6's and cutting powder charges for 105 Howitzers/self propelled.

F. Guffey

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by fguffey; 05-16-2023 at 01:59.

I learned from a WWII paratrooper vet named Arnold back in 1959 who was already an experienced reloader. First cartridge was 7.65 x 53 Arg using C&H dies that I still have and use. Brass was hard to find and he taught me how to make it out of 30-06 sized down.