Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible Indian scout rifle??

Found this rifle at the Baltimore show. It's an 1877 produced rifle serial# 81748 with Fort Bowie Team 10 stamped on the butt. Serial# puts this rifle in a range where numerous rifles were sent to Fort Bowie and issued to Indian Scouts. This may have possible been one but it's 5 digits off of 81743. Should there be anyone here with additional information on this serial # I'd be happy to hear about it. It also has what appears to be a home made Bull rear sight?? I believe there was someone here that was making them but not sure who.
    Also I finally finished building my 1891 rod bayonet project. I found the last part needed which was a correct complete lock at almost the last table yesterday in Baltimore. Turned out nice and if not knowledgeable on Trap Doors you would never know it was re blued. These pictures would not load on the new bulletin board : (
    IMG_1622.jpgIMG_1623.jpgIMG_1624.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1628.jpg
    Last edited by Carlsr; 03-19-2023 at 09:37.

Last edited by Carlsr; 03-19-2023 at 09:34.

VERY nice find. What makes you think the Bull sight is home-made? That is an 1877 sight; they used some of them along with the more-frequently seen M1879.

Carlsr, Rifle came from the Burt Kellerstat collection. See Springfield Shoulder Weapons 1795-1968 by Robert W.D. Ball. page 111. The team 10 would refer to a rifle team not Indian scouts. Now why would the post stamp this on a rifle that the team was using when as soon as a later model was issued these would be turned in and hell would be raised for marking government property. Has anyone ever seen rifles 1-9 and 11-12? He was very lucky in his collection to also have another rifle with the name of a very good arsenal marksman and worker press into the stock in the same lettering size . Draw your own conclusions. Hope this helps. Edit as Dick said sight looks good I have one just like it.
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 03-19-2023 at 11:25. Reason: add note

Dick, the sight adjustment knob just didn’t look right. It actually looks to me to be a Buffington sight windage knob?? It is also mounted with slotted screws, seems the rear screw head is smaller than the front. I couldn’t find detailed photos of a Bull sight other than side view plus another person at the show told me it was home made.

Thank you Tom, I see what you are saying. I’ll have to look for that book!
    Thanks for confirming the sight, I was going to switch it yesterday LOL.
    It’s a really nice rifle with a shiny bore. When the dealer showed it to me it looked to be a little pitted but one patch down the pipe it came out shiny!!
    Different angle.

- - - Updated - - -

95823081-C57E-4F7F-A6AB-114529B4BAD1.jpg
    Last edited by Carlsr; 03-19-2023 at 11:51.

Carlsr, The correct screws for the Bull sights are in fact two different sizes. While rear one is a bit buggered do not replace it. The head with fine work can be restored to presentable condition.

I did some research a while back on fixing buggered screw heads. With my luck Tom I’d either damage the threads or bust the head off LOL!
    I figured the rear screw would be smaller to allow for clearance when raising the leaf. The front screw is perfect, wonder why the rear screw is buggered the way it is??

Carsr, The answer is the last guy to try the screws used the same screwdriver he shoves in electrical sockets to see if they are live. A very dangerous weapon in the wrong hands.

And I don’t have one of those special screw drivers to remove it
    Last edited by Carlsr; 03-20-2023 at 02:23.