Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Knob looks larger than Buffington to me. Tom knows his long-range stuff, and Burt Kellerstedt was a legend in the Springfield fraternity. Had the pleasure of meeting him once at an Allentown PA show in the early '90s.

Carlsr, Here are three sights left 77, center M-79, right M-79 made by a friend who was a first class machinist all his life. Take a micrometer and check the diameter of your knob is should be close to .426DSCN2504.jpgDSCN2505.jpg

I'll check the measurement tonight after work, hopefully it is correct. Thanks Tom.

DSCN2504.jpgDSCN2505.jpgApologies for jumping in but I felt those pics were so good they deserved better lighting.

Tom, the knob is .392, is that an issue?
    Also the leaf sides are much narrower than those pictured. Numbers on the right are partially missing the 0 on the 10 and 1 on the 11.
    Last edited by Carlsr; 03-22-2023 at 01:31. Reason: Added text

Carlsr, the M-77 sights were the first to be modified so small differences can be expected. Note how the knobs are identical as is the method of riveting on the off side. The leaf is slightly different in the amount of milling, Mine also has the 1 and the 0 cut down. but each is a custom job You have a very rare sight.
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 03-22-2023 at 05:47.

As I understand it, the leaves were narrowed to allow at least some windage adjustment via the screw when the leaf is folded down. I believe that came from Al. I may have copied it off the old BB, but my eyes are getting crossed.

Thank you Tom and Dick, I appreciate all your help and knowledge!
    I received a copy of Springfield Shoulder Weapons 1795-1968 yesterday. Pictures are dark but now I have a little history to go with the rifle.

Pictures are dark. They sure are what ever possessed then to use a red background? Perhaps one owned a large red bath towel! Dick is correct the milling was to allow fine windage adjustment before staff was raised beyond ears.