Default Early 1903 cleaning kit

This was in the stock of my early rifle and believe it is the first type of kit issued, The
    stock is without cross bolts, inletted for the open bottom rear sight base and has the
    C.C.V. cartouche, stock was not modified. Barrel is SADSCN0324.jpgDSCN0325.jpg 2-07 dated

I have heard that the early kits were squared off on the oiler end, and later kits were slightly rounded to help seal better.

I don't know, maybe John Beard could add something ?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I have heard that the early kits were squared off on the oiler end, and later kits were slightly rounded to help seal better.
    Johnny,

Brophy says the same thing on page 391 of his book.

"The first type of thong case was a nickel plated brass tube about six inches long, having a partition in the middle and screw caps on each end. In one end was carried sperm oil; the other end contained a thong and brush used for cleaning the rifle in the field. One end cap had a leather pad on the outside that prevented the case from making a noise if it struck the butt plate cap when stored in the stock. Early variations of this brass tube were square at the oil end. Later variations (Post WWI) had a rounded and swaged end."
    Last edited by Ironlip; 03-20-2023 at 11:21.

[QUOTE=Ironlip;646344]Johnny,

Brophy says the same thing on page 391 of his book.

Brophy doesn't mention the reason for the change from the squared end to rounded end.

Correct me if wrong, but there something about an oil leak on the early variation ? improve cap was
    then introduced -

Maybe so. Post it.

I did not save the information