Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New purchase - Hall rifle

Well gentlemen, after some time collecting in the 15th to 17th centuries I'm finally back on the board with a 19th century American piece that ya'll might find interesting. I've been stalking Springfield 1795s recently, and found an auction with several. I didn't win any of the 1795s, but what do you know, there was another piece there I'd been hunting as well, so I took it home for a bit over $2400 all told with fees and taxes (but not counting shipping, which was exorbitant, as is tradition for auctions!). It's an 1831-dated Model 1819 - it definitely has some warts (replaced top jaw and screw; altered breechblock latch; the usual Hall rifle chip in the wood behind the receiver; probably a replacement ramrod) but the mechanics are crisp, the flint throws an impressive shower of sparks, and it came with a bayonet that itself is a find.

An interesting reflection, as we look for mismatched parts on future purchases, or when we look for replacement parts to get an old warhorse working again...these rifles were some of the first where that was even possible.

Wow! Have read about the Hall. Have never seen one except in occasional pictures in various books. Never closeups. Following thread. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

had one thru the shop years ago, in about he same shape, sold it to a collector in MD,

should have kept that one,

nice find, price is not horrible either, esp with a bayonet

4. Default

Thanks gentlemen - and happy to take other detail shots to the extent that my camera phone is able, just let me know if there's something you're interested to see.

Blog Entries

I have a Hall Carbine in stock now,

at the last VGCA gunshow, a gent had a a very nice display of all (well most) of the Hall Variants,

if he is at the show next week, I'll see if he will let me take pics and post

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I have a Hall Carbine in stock now,

at the last VGCA gunshow, a gent had a a very nice display of all (well most) of the Hall Variants,

if he is at the show next week, I'll see if he will let me take pics and post
    That would be awesome!

Would the carbine happen to be a side-lever 1843 by any chance?

Very interesting, thank you for posting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Snowstorm View Post
    That would be awesome!

dont recall the date, but yes a side lever percussion,

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Snowstorm View Post
    That would be awesome!

Ironically the last episode of Pawn Stars had a 1843 Hall-North carbine. Had the side lever. Being a carbine there was no bayonet. Condition was somewhat better than the one pictured above. It was valued at $5,000 and Rick Harris paid $3,000 for it.

The breech block assembly can be removed and shot as a pistol.

I recorded this episode the other day and just now watched it otherwise I would have spoken up sooner. The show was not listed as a season/episode number but did have the episode description as "The Pawnerator". Aired March 22, 2023.

Blog Entries

Hall display is not present at this show, this time, , so no pics,

gentleman across from me does have a nice setup display of Jenk's rifles,

I'll see if he will allow me to post some pics,