Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    1903's used what is called O&E blocks, correct?

that one pictured has an odd screw pattern, not at all like the (admittedly very few) originals I have seen
    Yes, John Unertl copied the Unertl O & E off the WWI WRA Springfield Marine bases.

The blocks are nearly identical except for slight differences in the machining at the ends of the block.

They are nothing like the blocks on the Senich Rifle.

2. Default

Thanks for posting the auction site listing.

The rifle is definitely not a sniper rifle, nor did I ever claim it to be, nor did Senich. It's a rebuild.

If the rifle was an old match rifle, the elongated front base could have been used to switch back and forth from 7.2" spacing to 6" spacing, depending on the range of the match. Seems logical.
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 03-14-2023 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle View Post
    Shown below is a 1910 rifle with a B5 scope with #1 WRA mounts on 7.2" spacing, which means the very early #1 mount is mounted on "Springfield Marine" bases.
    It is an early USMC scoped rifle in WRA #1 mounts on 7.2" spacing, which requires "Springfield Marine" bases.
    The front base is obviously uncommon, but the rear base is defintely a "Springfield Marine" base.

Springfield Marine bases were ONLY made by Winchester. But then it becomes:

You are yet again mistaken. I never said they were WRA bases. I said the bases were on 7.2" spacing, which they are. Misrepresenting what I say will not change the fact that you were wrong.

Last edited by cplnorton; 03-14-2023 at 09:19.

You keep saying it is a fake. A fake what? It is just a scoped Marine rifle. No one has claimed it to be anything else.

So I'm guessing even after seeing those pics and that provenance you going to double down and say this rifle is Marine, and it was drilled and tapped pre WWI?

I'm just curious.

Last edited by cplnorton; 03-15-2023 at 03:47.

Just to add a little humor to the show, I laser etched a whole bunch of M14 parts with NM just for the halibut. Connector rods, selector switch, trigger group, sling swivels, sling keepers and a few bolts. I also posted along with these, don't believe anything you hear or read and only half what you think you see. Saw photos of my fakes used a proof by a few of the wannabes that showed how clueless they actually were.
    With out formal research as cplnorton has done it is awfully easy to interpret other's writings as fact when they are often times based on the writers personal thoughts and not necessarily fact.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Just to add a little humor to the show, I laser etched a whole bunch of M14 parts with NM just for the halibut. Connector rods, selector switch, trigger group, sling swivels, sling keepers and a few bolts. I also posted along with these, don't believe anything you hear or read and only half what you think you see. Saw photos of my fakes used a proof by a few of the wannabes that showed how clueless they actually were.
    With out formal research as cplnorton has done it is awfully easy to interpret other's writings as fact when they are often times based on the writers personal thoughts and not necessarily fact.
    NM connector rods, selector, swivels and keepers? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    NM connector rods, selector, swivels and keepers? LOL
    Yep, it was done as a joke totally. NM auto switch and connector rod got me chuckling when I saw them used as proof. There is one born every day. Whatta Hobby!

Yep, it was done as a joke totally. NM auto switch and connector rod got me chuckling when I saw them used as proof. There is one born every day. Whatta Hobby!
    Why not though? Everyone shoots full auto fire at national match ranges, right? Sooner or later you're bound to hit the bullseye.

Blog Entries

I took a silver paint pen, and had my wife (better handwriting) put PIETHON on the barrel of a new in box RG 22 short I picked up in an estate, and to a Jennings 25 that was chromed and with a gold paint pen had her write Gold Cup on the slide,

some folks at the gunshow got a kick out of it, some were confused

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I took a silver paint pen, and had my wife (better handwriting) put PIETHON on the barrel of a new in box RG 22 short I picked up in an estate, and to a Jennings 25 that was chromed and with a gold paint pen had her write Gold Cup on the slide,

some folks at the gunshow got a kick out of it, some were confused
    The paint was worth more than the pistols.