Default 17" UFH Bayonet 1943 with Brown handle?

I have seen many with black handles ,but this is the first Brown resin handle. I got it in a garage sale close to the factory in North East Ohio,maybe a lunch box take home. She said her Grandfather worked there in WW-2.

At that time frame because of the war effort, resin grips may have been used. 17 inch bayonets were phased out by then for combat arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    At that time frame because of the war effort, resin grips may have been used. 17 inch bayonets were phased out by then for combat arenas.
    After talking to a bayonet collector the Brown resin grips were dropped because solvents melted them and they went to a new Black resin that resisted the solvents and yes as you stated the 10'" was the new standard and the 17" were cut down and reissued wartime and post war.
    Last edited by jeep; 03-11-2023 at 04:39.

I own a 17 inch bayonet stamped with date 1917. It was parkerized sometime later tho. It resides in a repro canvas sheath. The grips are wood with lines carved in them. I heard that the number of lines could indicate something or other, I forget, mine has 17 lines each side.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Bayonets are cool.
    Unless you're on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Unless you're on the receiving end.
    Other than training in the Corps, I have never been on the receiving end and would never want to. Might hurt a little.

Early AFH bayonets came with brown grips or scales. Wilde tool came with 2 tone, that are very valuable.