Default RtL's March Book Sale

List updated:

Attached are a nice group of military books, many at a fraction of even online USED prices! A large selection of WWII books is included!

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure and now comes with tracking numbers. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”:

1. U.S. Aircraft Carriers – A Design History” by Norman Friedman. SPF

“Task Force 58: The US Navy’s Fast Carrier Strike Force” by Rod MacDonald. SPF

2. “The Guide to America’s Veteran Warships.” By Joe Follansbee. A state-by-state guide to all warship of the US Navy and Coast Guard currently on display. NEW, $15.00

3. “The Guns At Last Light” by Rick Atkinson. In this book, he tells the most dramatic story of all—the titanic battle for Western Europe. With the stirring final volume of this monumental trilogy, Atkinson's accomplishment is manifest. He has produced the definitive chronicle of the war that unshackled a continent and preserved freedom in the West. Very slight split in spine on , otherwise VG-Ex - $6.98

4. “The Good Shepherd” by C.S. Forester. SPF

5. “The War in the South Pacific” by Jon Diamond.SPF

6. “Bones of My Grandfather” by Clay Bonnyman Evans. SPF

II. World War II

1. “Eagle Against the Sun” by Ronald Spector. SPF

2. “To End All Wars” by Ernest Gordon SPF

3. “Okinawa: The Last Battle” by Roy Appleman. SPF

4. “Killing Ground on Okinawa: The battle For Sugarloaf Hill” SPF

5. “What Stalin Knew: The Enigma of Barbarossa” by David Murphy.SPF

6. “Nothing Less Than Full Victory: America at War In Europe, 1944-1945” by Edward Miller. At the onset of World War II, the U.S. Army was a third-rate ground force of 145,000 with some generals who still believed in the relevance of horse cavalry. Its soldiers were untrained, its doctrine out of date, and its weapons hopelessly obsolete. Four years later, the U.S. Army was engaged in a global war with a force of more than 8 million men armed with modern weapons and equipment. NEW, $10.95

7. “Yankee Samurai” by Joseph Harrington. The exploits of Japanese-Americans in Europe is fairly well-known, that of the Nisei in the Pacific is much less so. This book documents them. VG, $7.50

III. Military on Film

1. “Flying on Film: A Century of Aviation in the Movies” by Mark Carlson. Flying on Film is the history behind the films. Veterans and aviators from past and present tell the real story of one of the most fascinating genres of motion pictures in Hollywood. About the Author: Mark Carlson is an aviation historian, writer, classic film buff and student of filmmaking. NEW $9.95

“Stars in the Movies” was a series of books documenting the service of actors in the armed services – mostly but not completely during World War II. The number and kinds of service may surprise you!

2. “Stars in Blue: Movie Actors in America’s Sea Services” by James Wise. Near new, $8.95

3. “Stars in Khaki: Movie Actors in the Army and the Air Services” by James Wise Ex-near new, $9.95

4. “Stars in the Corps: Movie Actors in the United States Marines” by James Wise, Ex.-Near New, $8.00

***Bundle Price*** Buy all three “Stars in the Service” and pay just $21.50

IV. Miscellaneous History, Military, etc.

1. “Lost States” by Michael Trinklein. Each story offers a fascinating glimpse at the nation we might have become—along with plenty of absurd characters, bureaucratic red tape, and political gamesmanship. Ex. $8.95

2. “Patrick O’Brian’s Navy” by Richard O’Neill This first full-color illustrated companion to the Aubrey-Maturin series, timed to coincide with the release of the blockbuster Twentieth-Century Fox film adaptation starring Russell Crowe (“Master and Commander”), explains the fascinating physical details of Jack Aubrey's fictional world. An in-depth historical reference, it brings to life the political, cultural, and physical setting of O'Brian's novels. G-VG, $13.95

3. “The Naval Institute Historical Atlas of the U.S. Navy” by Craig Symonds. Covers U.S. Navy history from the Revolutionary War to the Gulf War, looking at important naval battles and operations. Lg. oversized ppk. G-VG, $12.95

4. “Harvest of Sorrow” by Robert Conquest. SPF

5. “An Unsung Soldier” by Robert Jordon. Gen. Andrew J. Goodpaster was one of the leading soldier-scholars of his time. He stood as a key figure among the dominant American military and political personalities during the Cold War. Goodpaster served Gen. Dwight Eisenhower in establishing the international military component of NATO and then served as Staff Secretary and Defense Liaison Officer in the Eisenhower White House. NEW, $8.95

6. “Breaking the Color Barrier” by Robert Schneller – SPF

7. “Winning Armageddon: Curtis LeMay and Strategic Air Command 1948–1957” by Trevor Albertson. SPF
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-07-2023 at 07:49.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis