Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1866 Short Rifle before and after

Won this rifle in a recent auction. I took a chance on it thinking it would clean up well with a little kroil and also cleaning up the stock. There was no description of the bore condition but it was shiny with nice rifling. It also came with a bayonet which must have been in a scabbard as only what would be out of the scabbard was quite brown and also cleaned up well.
    This short rifle has the filled in band spring but all measurements seem to be as stated in Dicks book.
    Inside bore dimension is correct along with band spacing, cleaning rod and overal length. Bayonet also fits well after carefully filling of a small bugger on the muzzle.
    I believe it came out well??

You did a great job w/o overdoing it.

Congrats on that bore. I've bought a few w/o any bore description and found out why the hard way.

Thanks Allen! I didn't want it shiny new looking, just clean with the right amount of age left.
    I laid it under my 1868 trapdoor and it seems to me that it is exactly the same in all respects other then a different action and cleaning rod position. Here they are.
    IMG_20230305_130000.jpg
    Last edited by Carlsr; 03-05-2023 at 10:14.

That turned out great! I have two cutdown 1866 rifles in my collection. Neither done professionally. Yours being a real short rifle is something special. Enjoy!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Thanks Tkcook but that’s where I’m confused.According to Al Frasca if it has the filled in band spring it’s not a real short rifle but rather one from say Bannerman’s. The wrist does not look to be thinned out next to my three band 1866 and all looks good next to my M68. All looks too good to be a cutdown???

Would you happen to have a photo of your cut down Tkacook?

Simply remarkable rifle ... both before and especially after Kroil. My compliments to you on a very good job well done. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Would you happen to have a photo of your cut down Tkacook?
    1866-short-rifle.jpg

Not a great picture, but here it is. Please ignore the cleaning rod as it's a bad reproduction.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!