Thread: The Army rejects the Mann Niedner Design in April 1918

Threaded View

I know there is nothing I could ever post that will ever convince Jim of anything, he made up his mind on a very limited amount of research long ago.

So I'm only posting this info for others reading this that want to learn. If you want to know why it's so vital that the docs mentions the Winchester made Marine Mount A5 needed clamping screws, it's because the Marine Mann Niedner tapered base conversion does not have any.

Again, there were two different A5 variants in the WWI era, one made by Winchester, and one made by the Marines at the Philly Depot. One was named "Marine Mount" by WRA, and one was named the "taper block Marine Corps design." Both nicknamed "Marine" and it has confused every researcher till Andrew and myself pulled the actual research and put it together.

Jim claims over and over that Winchester made the Mann Niender tapered design without absolutely zero proof Winchester ever did.

So why is this so relevant to the Marine Corps A5 Snipers WRA sold the Marines in 1917? Because the Army details over and over in the docs that they want the exact same rifles the Marines bought in 1917, so Winchester starts to describe the 7' 2'' spacing as the "Marine Mount" so the Army knows they are getting the same style the Marines had received.

Here is a WWII era Mann Niedner Sniper next to the WWI Marine Mount A5 built by Winchester. I put arrows to the clamping screws so the reader can see why the mention of purchasing clamping screws proves that WRA made Marine mount was not the Mann Niedner tapered block design as Jim claims.

Last edited by cplnorton; 03-05-2023 at 05:58.