Default Took my son out to shoot Danish return VAR

He enjoyed it and it proved very accurate with its VAR 1957 barrel reading 1 throat and and 1 muzzle, on a SA 1944 rec. with all SA parts but a BMB gas plug and Danish beech fish scale stock. A dang good shooting rifle! I do not know where they came from at the North Store last Thursday was purchased 3-2-2023 for $900+tax. And well worth it, I went through 20 rifles to pick this one with the lowest barrel readings. The CMP guy at the counter said they have not seen any Danes for near 30 years,must have found a few cases in the the warehouse. The Danes took care of the 20,000 lend lease rifles we lent them and they returned them to the Army in great working order. That rifling and bore is perfection on the VAR barrel. Little late to the Danish party,but glad to get one!

Those beech stocks are not pretty but when you're shooting to have fun who cares?

Glad you have a place to shoot. Most people don't these days and that's hurting gun interest.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Those beech stocks are not pretty but when you're shooting to have fun who cares?

Glad you have a place to shoot. Most people don't these days and that's hurting gun interest.

Thanks for posting.
    I will not change history the Danish are collectible in there own right with many being altered to pure USA issue rifles. Back in the day many with WW2 rec. were corrected to G.I. issue . 20,000 Danes is not many when millions of garands were made. The post war M.A.P. program history is interesting. Whats old is new again!! Those VAR barrels are sweet shooters!!

My M1 is a Dane with a VAR barrel. Like yours its a Springfield with mostly Springfield parts and a BMP marked rear sight windage knob. i bought it through the mail from the CMP for a whopping $400.00 in 2002 before they charged a premium for the Danish barrels. My barrel actually measured under "0" on a gage when I got it and is now between "0" and "1" after about 2,000 rounds. The rifle was very tight in its USGI stock and is a superb shooter and will mostly hold the ten ring of an SR target shooting it off a bench over my range bag with M2 ball and will do that consistently with my handloads at 200 yards when I do my part. I shot some Garand matches with it and while I didn't win anything, I didn't embarrass myself either. I give my rifle some credit for that not embarrassing myself part.

If you haven't replaced the operating rod spring yet I would recommend it. Except for the Special Grade rifles most CMP guns' springs have seen a good bit of use.
    Last edited by Art; 03-05-2023 at 08:11. Reason: correction, syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    My M1 is a Dane with a VAR barrel. Like yours its a Springfield with mostly Springfield parts and a BMP marked rear sight windage knob. i bought it through the mail from the CMP for a whopping $400.00 in 2002 before they charged a premium for the Danish barrels. My barrel actually measured under "0" on a gage when I got it and is now between "0" and "1" after about 2,000 rounds. The rifle was very tight in its USGI stock and is a superb shooter and will mostly hold the ten ring of an SR target shooting it off a bench over my range bag with M2 ball and will do that consistently with my handloads at 200 yards when I do my part. I shot some Garand matches with it and while I didn't win anything, I didn't embarrass myself either. I give my rifle some credit for that not embarrassing myself part.

If you haven't replaced the operating rod spring yet I would recommend it. Except for the Special Grade rifles most CMP guns' springs have seen a good bit of use.
    On my gauges the barrel is closer to 0 than one on both ends.

my wife was born and raised just outside Kobenhavn (Copenhagen) Denmark so OF COURSE i had to get a Danish return M1 or Gevaer M50. what i got was a 1942 SA (about 2 weeks earlier than my very first CMP M1) with every piece and part on it with drawing numbers from January 1944 or later. i dont remember what the barrel gauged (if i even ever knew) but it had no markings on the side so i pulled the rear handguard and it was a WWII WRA barrel with this stamped near the receiver:

R.B.L.T
    O.B.S. 3

the only Danish part on it was a beech stock with the wrong serial number stamped in it.

word on the street is that O.B.S 3 was in Australia during the war and being a july 42 rifle, theres a good chance it saw some island hopping action in the pacific. kind of surprised that it ended up in Europe post war but it probably was put into storage in the US and then was just one of the many sent to the Danes.

i so wanted to get an M1 with some Italian parts and especially a Vaabenarsenalet barrrel...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    my wife was born and raised just outside Kobenhavn (Copenhagen) Denmark so OF COURSE i had to get a Danish return M1 or Gevaer M50. what i got was a 1942 SA (about 2 weeks earlier than my very first CMP M1) with every piece and part on it with drawing numbers from January 1944 or later. i dont remember what the barrel gauged (if i even ever knew) but it had no markings on the side so i pulled the rear handguard and it was a WWII WRA barrel with this stamped near the receiver:

R.B.L.T
    O.B.S. 3

the only Danish part on it was a beech stock with the wrong serial number stamped in it.

word on the street is that O.B.S 3 was in Australia during the war and being a july 42 rifle, theres a good chance it saw some island hopping action in the pacific. kind of surprised that it ended up in Europe post war but it probably was put into storage in the US and then was just one of the many sent to the Danes.

i so wanted to get an M1 with some Italian parts and especially a Vaabenarsenalet barrrel...
    My pal bought one the same time a 6 digit 2-41 SA rec. with all SA parts and a SA1953 barrel and in a Danish stock with non matching number. Nice rifle as well.
    Last edited by jeep; 03-07-2023 at 10:20. Reason: info correction

8. Default

My VAR came with a handwritten sighting card in the buttstock written in Danish which was apparently a cheat sheet telling how many 'clicks' elevation were needed to get on target at various distances in meters.