This rifle is a nice example of a 1st WRA Order rifle. It is a matched set, but the scope case is absent any sniper's name. This rifle and scope case exhibit some degree of hard use, as the stock and handguard have both been replaced at some point in time. The rifle has it original barrel intact. I do know that at least one of the 1st WRA Order made its way into the combat arena with the 5th Marine Regiment. I wonder if this one made the same journey?

When Pershing demanded the Marines turn over 90 sniper rifles to Army Ordnance and a British sniper school at Landres, it is entirely possible those rifles were never returned. The 6th would have quickly requested replacement sniper rifles from Marine Headquarters. The replacements rifles would have consisted entirely of rifles from the two WRA orders. The 6th Marine Regiment went to France with sniper rifles from the two WRA orders and the Niedner group of rifles initially. Pershing's allotment for each of the two regiments was 96 sniper rifles (192 rifles total), which indicates the 6th went to France with, at minimum, 42 WRA sniper rifles. Considering that we now know that several of the Niedner rifles were issued at GITMO, the exact number of WRA rifles that went to France with the 6th was more than 46 rifles.

The serial number of this rifle is obscured by the rear taper base, thus the original stock would have had its serial number stamped into the stock just in front of the rear crossbolt. The rifle's scope is in Marine Mounts with Niedner type taper bases.

Note:
I have a lot more of neat stuff to post, so I hope we can get through at least one thread with no personal attacks.

658887 Side View of Rifle - Annotated.jpg

658887 Left Rear View of Rear M-N Mount w_Wings - Annotated.jpg