This all started out so simply. I trained on the M14 and later the M16. Always wanted an M1 like the one my Dad used on annual qualifications. (I was the designated brass rat). Well one M1 led to several more. And of course I needed the tools that were used to maintain it. Then I met Scott Duff and afterward set out to collect an example of the significant long arms of standard issue to the grunt. Which let to muskets, trapdoors, a Krag, M1903's, M1917's and 03A3's. Along the way, I'd pick up the tools and the ammo. Kind of kept things going. If short on cash to make a big purchase, I could always bide my time with a small purchase.

The bullets are .58 minnie balls. On the inside of one, you can see a 'star', indicating it was made at the national armory in Washington, DC. The other has a flattened nose and hole in the center of the bullet face, indicating that it had been loaded in a musket and later "pulled". Either the weapon was being unloaded (only other method was to fire it) or the weapon misfired and needed to be reloaded. The musket cap tin is from around 1867 and as you can see, still contains caps. (Yes, I've tried 'em and they still work!)