Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Winchester only had the 6'' spacing until 1917. In 1917 is when Winchester created the 7.2'' spacing for their M1903 rifle. Because the Marines used it first it earned the nickname "Marine."
You have provided no document to back up such a ridiculous claim. I posted mine - post yours. I posted a page from Niedner's Work Book that proved the Marines were scoping their rifles on 7.2" spacing as early as 1916, and most likely, long before. Here it is.

Old Winchester Taper Bases 1916.jpgWakefield Made Winchester Taper Bases 1916.jpg

The bases Niedner drew are for 7.2" spacing. WRA did NOT create the 7.2" spacing in 1917.

These rifles are not labeled Army or Marines as Jim claims. This is not correct. But it would not matter even if they were labeled Army. There is NOT any difference between the rifles provided that Winchester made for the Marines and Army. The rifles for both branches are identical in everyway.
Straight from the museum's website.

Army Rifle SA 359062.jpg
Army Rifle SA 367312.jpg

Army Rifle SA 659068.jpg

You are mistaken yet again.

No serial ranges are important to this study, but Jim claims you can know a Mann Niedner and WRA rifle just by the serial number. This is not correct.
It may surprise you to know I have never said any such thing, because you obviously have a issue reading documents as well as posts. No offense intended, but you read something, and in your mind, you interpret the meaning of what you read to fit your beliefs. You have repeatedly claimed I have said things I never said. Do you make this stuff up by yourself?

I found serial 639,6xx was made into a sniper in 1940. It waited 23 years to become a sniper. So yes. Rifles sat in storage at Depots all the time and were taken out years and decades later to be used. This happened all the time.
You make these bold statements as though they were fact, yet you fail to offer any documentation for what you say. That doesn't cut it in the world of research. Offer some evidence of some kind.

As for what you said, how do you know they didn't just pull 639,6XX out of storage from WWI surplus? Does your "doc" address that possibility, which, quite frankly, is way more likely than your scenario.?

The highwood stock, and handguard both predate 1910. The small windage knob on the rear sight is also a pre 1910. So the chances the stock, the handguard, and the small dished windage knob were all changed to a pre 1910, is not likely at all.
Please be more specific. Which rifle are you addressing? The Marines did occasionally use highwood stocks for replacement stocks, as I have a rifle in that serial number range with a highwood stock. That rifle was discussed on this forum years ago. By the way, since they were indeed changed, it is more than very likely - it is a fact.

All you have to do is produce a document that proves that a "Marine Mount" utilizes a "Springfield Marine" base. You can't do it, can you?

You are re-posting the same nonsense we have already addressed on multiple occasions. Do you have anything new to add?