Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default USMC Unertl Snipers

Here is my totally legit USMC Unertl sniper.. have owned it since 2016, known about it since 1998 or so.. researching them since then as well.

Rifle came into a LGS in 1998 and was bought from the grandson of the USMC Officer who bought it from Organic Sales in 1953/54 for $25.00. Grandson wanted to trade it in towards a modern handgun. An employee of the LGS bought it, as you see it less sling and scope for $500 and called me to discuss.

I immediately thought ?Unertl rifle? and contacted the then leading experts. After speaking with Big Larry (Larry Reynolds) and others felt the rifle was legit, but the stock being a Type S was throwing us off. Larry and myself discussed at length and were able to find photographs showing Type S sniper usage on Okinawa as well as late 30?s USMC Rifle Team usage.

I tried buying the rifle from my buddy but never was successful. Ended up buying it in 2016 from his estate.

The rifle is a textbook Unertl rifie.

I?m also part of a group of fellow collectors, numbering about 28 who document and research USMC Unertl rifles (as well as other USMC sniper rifles). The group is made up of some very prominent collectors and researchers who have been studying these rifles in some cases for over 40 years. The members come from across the country and even overseas.

A lot of the members prefer to stay off gun forums, yet their names are instantly recognized by long time 1903 collectors. Unfortunately as some of these threads show, there is a lot of incorrect information often discussed when the topic of ?USMC snipers,? comes up.

When a reported riffle surfaces we collectively discuss to get both a consensus as well as different perspectives. It is truly collaborative.

As Steve stated it is always good to get opinions from multiple sources, and our group does just that. Steve, Tim, Andrew and others have been instrumental with utilizing the National Archives and other repositories to better understand these rifles through documents. The archival information coupled with really digging down and understanding physical traits, logistics, and manufacturing has allowed us to determine originality on these rifles.

I also maintain a database of reported Unertl rifles, which is shared amongst our group.. over 130 serial numbers to date.. with only about 27 being what the group collectively feels are authentic.

I look forward to the discussion on a rare rifle..

Greg Carlson

https://imgur.com/gallery/9o5fhXE

https://imgur.com/gallery/EVh81uY
    Last edited by Ls6man; 02-27-2023 at 04:20. Reason: Punctuation

Beautiful. Thanks for the photos.

Blog Entries

Greg,

thanks for the post,

I sold one of those Marine 1903's I had, (not a sniper) , but still have one I need to authenticate,

I won't have it at the show this weekend, (not sure if you are planning on driving up)

4. Default

I will definitely come up Sat morning.. think I have softball practice in the afternoon..

You know how much I love this Rifle Greg. It is by far one of the nicest condition wise Unertl Snipers.

A beautiful rifle.

Blog Entries

looking forward to seeing you there

7. Default

Thanks Steve!
    Last edited by Ls6man; 02-27-2023 at 07:59.

8. Default

Let?s see some more Unertl rifles..

I love this pic because it's 3 Marine Unertl Snipers side by side at Camp Perry. Tim and I were invited by the Marine Rifle team to come hang out with them for the day and we took a whole spread of the different sniper rifle variations up for them to play with.

This moment will remain very special to me since the Unertl Snipers started out as team rifles, and likely had been to Camp Perry with the Marine rifle team before 1940, and we were putting them back in the Marine rifle team's hand over 80 years later. It was just a really amazing experience and I hope next year to get even more real rifles together at Perry and to do the same.

Last edited by cplnorton; 02-28-2023 at 06:49.

This will likely always be my favorite rifle. This rifle is what made me start to research on my own. I have published this rifle in books, magazines, and it is one of the central rifles on the USMCweoponry.com website. I've sort of plastered this rifle everywhere. lol