Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is a Small Arms Repairman similar to, or equal to a Gunsmith? What were the small arms that you repaired?

Merc, I worked on everything from the M1911A1 up to the 4.2" mortar at the Direct Support Level (Brigade level maintenance). Mostly, we replaced parts so more of a gun plumber than a gunsmith. 45B20 was my MOS designator when I got out.

Steve

That is a really interesting job. You should have no trouble stripping and cleaning your old milsurp relics. So, which firearm was your favorite?

I took the Liberty to look up your MOS and it is impressive. I hope you were able to build upon the skills that you learned in the Army in civilian life.

https://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...ry-repai.shtml
    Last edited by Merc; 02-27-2023 at 01:23.

Merc,

I absolutely loved the job. My favorite to work on (and test fire after working on them in the field) was Ma Deuce. I even had an opportunity to do some limited work on the XM21 sniper rifle and fire them with some guys from 1/36 Infantry while I was in Germany. I've extended my Army professional life to enjoying/working on/restoring milsurps since I've been out. Learned a great deal from John Beard, Pete Davis, and several more about "correct" US martial arms in that time. I sold most of my WWII collection some years ago, I concentrated on American, German, and Japanese weapons from that war. After much discussion with my two sons, their interest was less than zero for WWII arms and accoutrements so I sold the whole lot at auction. But I was never able to give up my passion for that stuff, American and German small arms in particular, so now any time I find a bargain, I jump on it and enjoy working on it!

Steve

The Ma Deuce has been in continuous service for 90 years. Had to be a blast to shoot it - pun intended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning

My Winchester M1917 has a low serial number and was not sent to France due to parts interchangeability issues with M1917s made by Eddystone and Remington. I suspect my ‘17 may have been stripped of some of its parts in order to keep other front line rifles functioning. The barrel bore and receiver are excellent but I found several trigger parts that were bent, worn or damaged. NOS Winchester replacement parts were easy to find on eBay or from on-line parts dealers. I really did enjoy restoring the M1917 and seeing how well it performed afterward.
    Last edited by Merc; 02-27-2023 at 07:25.

6. Default

Steve

That's pretty impressive.

Pete Davis

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Thanks Merc and John. Last question for John - are these replacements likely field (unit armorer or "direct support" as it was known in my day) or are they indicative of arsenal rebuild (given the lack of any rebuild stamp)? I'm particularly curious about that because I was a Small Arms Repairman, direct support level when I was in the Army.

John - just a reminder, you helped me out a LOT back when I first joined Jouster and started collecting US Martial Arms more seriously. That's been nearly 20 years ago. I have appreciated your input and knowledge, not to mention your willingness to share, immensely through the years!

Steve
    I see no significant evidence indicating that the rifle was arsenal-overhauled. I foresee two reasonable explanations for the replacement parts. (1) The company armorer replaced the parts at the request of and as a favor to whom the rifle was issued. (2) The rifle was stripped and cleaned as part of a large batch of rifles, then re-assembled from mixed parts.

And you're very welcome for the assistance in the past! I'm glad I could help.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Davis View Post
    Is there any chance that the handguard on this rifle started out as a flat top, and had the clearance groove added? Did this ever get done?

PD
    A document from the Chief of Army Ordnance found in the National Archives dated 10 August 1909 ordered Springfield Armory to implement a sight-line clearance groove in the handguard. SteveC's rifle was assembled during the tooling and transition period and could have been correctly fitted with either handguard.

And to answer your question, old parts were updated to the latest designs when the rifles came through for arsenal overhaul. But SteveC's rifle shows no sign of overhaul.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-28-2023 at 09:29.

Default Reckon' that's enough cosmoline Willy?

M1903 cosmo 1.jpgM1903 cosmo2.jpg

Started taking this one apart for a thorough cleaning and darn! Ol' Willy loaded her up with cosmoline! On the plus side, this just means I'll have more days to clean her up a little bit at a time...

1903 cleaning kit.jpg

I've almost finished cleaning the rifle up and remembered I didn't share that the (empty and missing oil cap) cleaning kit was still in the buttstock.
    Last edited by SteveC; 03-23-2023 at 11:19.