Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know...

1. Default I know...

I think I know what happened to the missing documents Steve can't find...

Documents 2.jpg

Smile, Steve, my mother always said I had a weird sense of humor.

Many times I have looked at a rifle that was only worth $3000 to $5000 in parts, but because I tell someone I believe the rifle is a real Marine Sniper, they shell out $20,000 - $45,000 dollars. It is truly a humbling experience to have someone have so much faith in your rsearch that they can shell out $40,000 more than what a rifle is worth.

So because of this I take this topic and my research extremely serious. Whether you agree with me or not, there are many who are willing to spend a huge amount of money based on the statements I make.

Also on the reverse end I have had to tell people who spent $45,000 on a rifle that I can prove is not real. Which I cannot tell you how heartbreaking it is when I have to have those discussions with collectors and I provide them the research to know the rifle is fake, and they realize it is true. They saw some faulty research posted online or in a book and thought that it was correct. So that is why if I see something posted I know is not correct, I comment. Then anyone reading it can know there is contradictory info out there and they can research it and make up their own mind.

This hobby is fun, but the amount of money in these rifles is insane.

I remember all of this every single time I post a comment or statement.

Love reading all this stuff. Me , I am just a lowly shooter that is very happy with my 03A4 repro by James River. History is interesting as is the research that goes into providing some of it to us. Now , the interpretation part of a presentation is something else.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Many times I have looked at a rifle that was only worth $3000 to $5000 in parts, but because I tell someone I believe the rifle is a real Marine Sniper, they shell out $20,000 - $45,000 dollars. It is truly a humbling experience to have someone have so much faith in your rsearch that they can shell out $40,000 more than what a rifle is worth.
    Oh dear Lord. There is nothing in your background that qualifies you as an expert in anything. You have been doing this for only a few years. I pity anyone who relies on you as an expert. If you have been advising people to buy ultra expensive rifles based on what you think is a Marine sniper rifle, all I can say is caveat emptor. You can't even spell "research". Documents be damned. Do you know how many documents exist that claim the earth is the center of the universe? Thousands. Guess what? It isn't true. Neither is your version of the Marine sniper rifle.

The top Marine Sniper Collectors are small in number and very secretive. Everyone knows everyone, and we have even formed into a group where we share all our rifles and research in a secret Facebook group. Almost every famous name in this field is involved, and anyone we feel who can add to the knowledge base is invited.

All new rifles found are shown and examined, as well as any new research.

I'm not trying to be rude Jim, but you were gone for many years and have no idea what actually is happening in this field anymore. Everything has changed over the past 10 years.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 02-25-2023 at 01:55.

Blog Entries

keep it between the ditches please,,,

7. Default

No problem, Lyman. It was a knee jerk reaction on my part.

Steve, we are dealing with history, and nothing we do now, changes history. I think it is nice you found some friends.

8. Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    The top Marine Sniper Collectors are small in number and very secretive.
    Wow, since you guys are top collectors, you should be able to post at least one A5 Marine sniper matched set, rifle, scope and case, all matched to a verifiable sniper in the Muster Rolls. We eagerly await your post.

Everyone knows everyone, and we have even formed into a group where we share all our rifles and research in a secret Facebook group. Almost every famous name in this field is involved, and anyone we feel who can add to the knowledge base is invited.
    Secretive, eh? Your bunch may have a bit of trouble advancing the collector's knowledge base if they are so secretive. Why so secretive? Any of you Nazi sympathizers, or something you need to hide? I am a Mason, and we are pretty secretive, but we have the Children's Hospital, and we are pretty proud of it. You guys got something like that? We have a secret handshake too. You guys got one of those?

So, you don't think the members of this forum are good enough to be a member of your secret society? How rude, and insulting.

All new rifles found are shown and examined, as well as any new research.
    I thought that was the purpose of this forum. Maybe we should be more secretive. Does secrecy further the collector field? What is it that you don't want us peons to know? I didn't know there was a hierarchy in the collecting field. I learn something new every day. If you don't mind too much, I don't want any part of your secret society. I'll stick with what brung me - the forum.

I'm not trying to be rude Jim, but you were gone for many years and have no idea what actually is happening in this field anymore. Everything has changed over the past 10 years.
    I've been absent from this forum for three years while I restored an old car. I don't think WWI history has changed one iota in the last 100-years. I realize you are trying to change that, but I am back now, driving a beautiful 65-years old car, and I prefer to preserve history, not re-write it to suit what I own.

You guys got tee-shirts?

T'Bird 1.jpgT'Bird 2.jpgEngine 1.jpgDash 1.jpg

Nice work on the T-bird. Always wanted one.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Nice work on the T-bird. Always wanted one.
    Thank you. My third one. Had an "E" Bird in college. This one is my daily driver. Zero oil leaks. Starts instantly.