Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A long time ago

Blog Entries

Default A long time ago

How many remember flannel PJs? Every winter when the Alberta Clipper jumped the 2 strands of barbed wire and came down onto Oklahoma, my mother would have a thick pair of flannel PJs. 68 years ago they 8didn't have waffle weave long johns with cuffs round the ankles only the scratchy kind.

Mom, sisters, and grandma made quilts. Sadly, all but 1 has been lost thru childrens divorce.

Wash day on a wringer washer and hanging on a line, mom' hands would turn as red as a 12 ga shell. After mom said they were freeze dried, I would go out, take them down and break them onto the laundry basket.

Our bathroom had a little gas stove, and I remember at 8 lighting that stove for a bath; " remember light the wooden match, then turn on the gas slowly and stick p it in the ceramic grate." Use a hatchet to split kindling. My grandkids...no way!

My parents were born in 1911. Grand mother was born on 1886 in a covered wagon in Oklahoma Indian Territory near Apache OK. She could skip a tin can across the ground with her pump .22.

That's when I learned girls can shoot
    Last edited by PWC; 02-21-2023 at 09:14.

Ironically my mother had a .22 pump. The only gun she had and now I have it, a 1890 Win. with an '06 barrel. I assume the round barrel was installed to make the gun lighter than having the octagon barrel. I asked her, she didn't know. She said she would pick up a box of .22 LR in the grocery store for 25 cents. They were on the shelf like anything else for sale.

My grandmother had a wringer washer and a flattened finger tip that got caught in it one day.

I grew up with the little space heaters too.

3. Default

Maternal grandmother had a wringer washer too, and a coal fired furnace. Uncle lived on first floor and she lived on third. Rented second; tenant's kid stuck his arm in the wringer.
    Near North Side of Chi.

After WWII, houses were being built everywhere. There was a dump near where I lived with my grandparents in Lake Charles, LA. I used to pull my wagon to the dump and load it with off-cuts. My grandmother used them to build the fire under the wash boiler (looked like a witch's kettle.)

Flannels? it just made sense. There's no argument. If anyone wants to aurgu about it.
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-22-2023 at 10:41.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

my Wife's maternal grandmother uses a 'semi auto' wringer washer until the day she passed,
    big barrel looking washer on a stand, with the wringer above it, and what looked like a gear shift for a tractor or big truck one one corner to make the washer work (hense semi auto,,, a joke)

my maternal grandparents lived on a farm,
    house built in 1835, updated sometime around or before WW2,
    oil heater in the one bathroom, and in the grandparents bedroom (the room was the original Doc office for the doc that build the house) and a wood stove in the main room
    the bedrooms upstairs were not heated, (doors to each heated room were kept closed, the house had little insulation)

so when visiting in the cold months , we slept under a handful of quilts, handful sometimes being 6 or more,

Blog Entries

This year I'll be 79. I now have time to realize what those that went before did for me, and that's only the things I know of. It's an honor and a blessing to remember them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    This year I'll be 79. I now have time to realize what those that went before did for me, and that's only the things I know of. It's an honor and a blessing to remember them.
    well said,

re that wringer washer, I remember when she passed (peacefully in her sleep) and he husband, (wife's grandfather) moved in with her mom, they cleaned out the house and sold the old , still working like it was new, washer for more than you could buy a new modern washer for

I joked with the wife that we should have taken it home, since she hated the one we had, but she said her grandmother never taught her how to use it,,,
    I do know you had to roll it over to the sink and attach a hose to it for water

Pushing 70 hard & can still recall the coin fed gas meter’s that fired up the old copper wash tubs that nana used along with the hand wringer later 50’s,the old 20ga rabbit shotgun the grandparents both used from earlier previous year’s to feed their kids (mum & siblings) through the hard times in Oz.Flannel pj’s & hot water bottles we used in the winter time’s too.
    Last edited by SDigger; 02-23-2023 at 03:08.

Wringer washer. For those of you who may not have seen one the wringers (2 of them) above the washer looked like big kitchen rolling pins covered in rubber. I remember my grandmother (who used it) saying the wringers were really bad for cracking/breaking plastic buttons.
    Attached Images Attached Images