Default Florida hurricane devastation

We are currently on our winter vacation in Fort Myers and Sarasota, Florida and saw first hand the hurricane devastation in the Fort Myers area. The hardest hit was Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel and Captiva Islands. All single story buildings near the Gulf were either destroyed or damaged by the 12 foot storm surge or the 150 MPH winds and can?t be repaired or rebuilt unless they comply with modern building codes. Eighty miles to the north, Sarasota was basically untouched.

Speaking from experience, pictures cannot capture the damage done by hurricanes.

Most everything along the Gulf Coast and Southern East Coast are already built to code having been destroyed so many times. Plus, county building codes, banks and insurance companies require it. I've seen new modern (to code) brick homes blown away with the roof seemingly undamaged laying on the ground where the house used to be. Just like an explosion with no signs of the house left except for a few bricks.

This is why you heard so much about hurricane Sandy that hit the NJ area years ago. It was only a Category 1 storm but did a lot of damage. This area isn't use to storms like this. A lot of the structures were very old and not built to modern day codes.

Think how bad it was months ago after the storm hit. You are seeing a lot of clean up.

The streets are clear now, no wrecked upside down cars/other vehicles, fewer downed trees, some home/building repair, no boats several blocks inland, power poles and lines are probably all up now with most power restored, bridges may still be out?, fuel-food-healthcare-banks available now and think of how much debris is now gone.

Another thing you aren't seeing is all the sunken boats and personal items in the water.

When things like this happen it affects everyone for hundred of miles away. I still have damage from hurricane Sally over 2 years ago and still have problems finding roofing shingles and stuff because it is all going to where the most recent damage is.

Shrimp boats and large yachts are still sitting on top of each other probably several hundred yards inland from where they were docked in Fort Myers Beach. It is amazing to see.

The clean-up is continuing and those places will look a lot different in the years to come.
    Last edited by Merc; 02-20-2023 at 09:46.

My cousin lives near Fort Myers. He received a letter from his insurance company (Progressive) in August, a few weeks before the hurricane hit, telling him that they would discontinue his homeowners coverage unless he replaced the roof on his 19 year old house even though the old roof was in perfect shape with 30 year shingles. I told him to ask the state insurance commissioner office if it was legal to make such a demand.

The hurricane wound up damaging his roof beyond repair a few weeks later and Progressive gave him a check for $8500 and told him to go away even though a new roof will cost him more than 3 times that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The hurricane wound up damaging his roof beyond repair a few weeks later and Progressive gave him a check for $8500 and told him to go away even though a new roof will cost him more than 3 times that amount.
    That's basically what State Farm Ins did to me paying about 1/2. The rates they figure are during calm times. After extensive storm damage everyone raises their rates to near doctor fees. My biggest problem is finding someone who will replace the damaged wood. Most all of them just want to do the easy stuff like nail on new shingles. BTW I live about 25 miles inland.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Shrimp boats and large yachts are still sitting on top of each other probably several hundred yards inland from where they were docked in Fort Myers Beach. It is amazing to see.

The clean-up is continuing and those places will look a lot different in the years to come.
    I can't seem to come up with much sympathy for the owners of ocean going ships which remain moored in port when they have days of notice that a hurricane is headed their way. Put out to sea and get out of the way. What's more expensive a few days wages for a couple of deck hands, or buying a new boat? It's just like the people here in Mo who live in the Mississippi River bottoms. They get flooded out every few years and continue to go right back and re-build in a flood plain. What can they be thinking? "We'll beat the river next time"?

Quote Originally Posted by pcox View Post
    I can't seem to come up with much sympathy for the owners of ocean going ships which remain moored in port when they have days of notice that a hurricane is headed their way. Put out to sea and get out of the way. What's more expensive a few days wages for a couple of deck hands, or buying a new boat? It's just like the people here in Mo who live in the Mississippi River bottoms. They get flooded out every few years and continue to go right back and re-build in a flood plain. What can they be thinking? "We'll beat the river next time"?
    Agree with you but a lot of these boats are in for repairs or have been docked so long they may not be seaworthy enough to take into rough seas to go somewhere else other than a short trip which wouldn't accomplish anything as you never know exactly where one of these storms are going to hit. Also, you have to have a place to take them to and the personnel to do it.

Everyone hopes that an incoming hurricane will take a last minute turn and miss them. This does happen.

I use to own a small ski boat. No problems. It was on a trailer and could be moved if need be. Large boats, I've always heard, were like having a 2nd wife.

State Farm is notorious for denying roofing claims. Happens in mid America too! I had to get 3 estimates to replace my shingles and had 2 State Farm claim adjusters exam my roof along with a roofing contractor. Finally after 9 months they OKed the claim and reroofed my house.