1. Default Thompson Auto-Ordnance ZG-51 "Pit Bull"

This pistol presently has a doubled recoil spring. Feeding is unreliable. After doing some searching I found that Wolff has this spring; Colt Officer/P12 .45 FD STD Recoil Spring (22LB) that is supposed to work as a replacement. I have it on order to try it out. Has anyone used this spring for a ZG-51?

If I'm not mistaken Glock went to the double recoil spring on their Generation 4 pistols as an improvement. Tension is everything though, more so than design. Please keep us posted with your findings.

Blog Entries

never had one, not a big fan of AO 1911's,

however that spring should work, (and google tells me they offer 2 other spring weights,)

may want look on ebay etc and see if you can find a Detonics recoil spring, they have been available now and then , and they work fine in those short 1911's

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    never had one, not a big fan of AO 1911's,

however that spring should work, (and google tells me they offer 2 other spring weights,)

may want look on ebay etc and see if you can find a Detonics recoil spring, they have been available now and then , and they work fine in those short 1911's
    I understand about AO 1911's. It wasn't a choice I made. I just figured since I had it I might as well try to make it functional/reliable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    I understand about AO 1911's. It wasn't a choice I made. I just figured since I had it I might as well try to make it functional/reliable.
    and I applaud you for making it run,

please keep us updated on how it does

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I had a colt LW commander that built in PRE 68 and the frame got a "kink" in it from shooting 230 Ball with 7.3 grains of Unique back in 1979.
    I took it to a "gun smith" and he charged me 40 bucks to straighten the frame. BEFORE he got it, it would stove pipe one in 7 rounds.
    When he got done it would stovepipe 7 in 7 rounds!! I put a detonics spring in it hoping to cure problems. Hell, I was 32 years old, didn't have arthritis in my hands, pumped iron, and that slide was HARD to retract.
    I ended up trading the gun off to a dealer who was ecstatic that is was a pre 68 model and LW meant "Light Weight". It was an alloy frame. I traded it on a gov't model series 70 Mark IV. That Gov't model, and my kimber polymer target 1911 both use the 16 pound spring ...wolfe brand listed in the dillon catalog. They work fine and you can even retract the slide when you are pushing 80 years old and have arthritis. !!