Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Any comments on the originality of RIA auction officers model?

I see this at the RIA auction coming up this week. https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1042/6144 It looks original but I question the front sight (no pin on it), the lack of a witness mark on the receiver and the engraving. It has seen a lot of use and maybe abuse?

Very well worn rifle. Very rare tang sight but looks like the eye cup is off an H-R officers rifle beech sight is not clear enough to tell if its an original of one made by Lyman. I suppose its worth 5-6 if you just want an example. Its best to wait for a better one to come along.OFFICERS RIFLES.jpg

Nice display YOU have.

M1875 Officers OA copy.jpgI think it's real, but not a particularly primo specimen. Though, some of us could never afford five-figures for a nice one. Mine has a lot more wear than that one, but the same very rare SA-designed one-screw tang sight. I always drool over Tom's, who was kind enough, many years ago, to provide me with a Beach front sight.

Blog Entries

wondering where they got that one from,

I spoke to a gent a couple months ago that was enquiring about value etc for a well used example a widow he knew had,

this did not appear to be a dude trying to scam a widow, I got the impression it was a friend of the family looking to get the most possible for the widow and family,
    anyhoo, I did not get to see it, (only got a rather vague verbal description)
    however that vague description fits this rifle,,,,,

he mentioned auction houses as a possible option, and I concurred and suggested he shop around and negotiate rates ,

maybe the same, maybe not,

oddly enough, and slightly off topic, I have seen more for sale in the past 4 yrs or so than I have in the past 20,
    and was offered one just a couple weeks ago that I need to go look at

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    oddly enough, and slightly off topic, I have seen more for sale in the past 4 yrs or so than I have in the past 20,
    and was offered one just a couple weeks ago that I need to go look at
    I wonder if this is a result of so many of us realizing we need to thin our herds or the early signs of the upcoming recession.

Both of those, but also just the aging of the trapdoor enthusiasts in general. I need to thin down but am torn between selling the good stuff (because it will bring the money) and keeping the chaff just to have a couple - or vice versa. One thing for sure, anything you sell you will NEVER be able to reacquire. Well, that's not always true - I just had a miraculous event with a a very nice (and previously-owned by me) 1895 Krag carbine, in which I spent $xxxx to return to previous status of having just $90 (1972) in it! I could sell it again, for big bucks, but Karma says "no". That one's a keeper!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-14-2023 at 11:48.

I remember the story on your Krag. You need to be buried with that one.

Sold today for 8813.00. More than I thought it would bring. All you need in an auction is two bidders who want something.

Blog Entries

Dick ,

you may have seen or have corresponded with the owner of the OM I referenced,

I also had a conversation with someone else you may know regarding selling some of his collection,

I'll shoot you an email when I get a chance