Default SA Rebuild Stamp - Dates?

CMP pistol; 1944 Remington. What years would the SA mark have been placed? 3rd pic down

Prior to 1968, when Springfield Armory ceased operation. Looks like it went through another rebuild after the Springfield Armory rebuild. All rebuilds were not marked, depending at what level the work was done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Prior to 1968, when Springfield Armory ceased operation. Looks like it went through another rebuild after the Springfield Armory rebuild. All rebuilds were not marked, depending at what level the work was done.
    this is very true

Thanks All - at this point I am assuming the pistol was rebuilt by SA after Korea, with possibly one more trip through rehab, and TZ slide added at a more local level.

No way of knowing for sure, but it probably got the TZ marked slide in a subsequent rebuild. TZ was Israel Military Industries.

Pistol shipped in the September 1944 time frame.

Blog Entries

I can saw without a shadow of a doubt, that a lot of M16's and 1911's were worked on at unit level, and never marked,

when I was much younger, I would travel with my father (Army Reserve, and worked for the AR as a Civilian) maintaining weapons,

he taught me how to work on both by working on both in the units,

many many slides, uppers, barrels etc replaced per work order, and nary a mark to indicate such put on the firearm,

at that time (early 80's) the army was also refinishing a lot of stuff (parkerizing etc) at Ft Eustis w/o any rebuild markings used

7. Default

Hi, I can't speak to dates but I also have a SA marked CMP 1911. I've seen a few others so marked and they all had the yellow rack number on the grips, regards, Mike

A Springfield Armory NM pistol, that made at least two trips thru. Springfield Armory upgraded the pistols each year to any changes made. Apparently this one did not need refinishing after the upgrade as neither SA is finished over, and was possibly not issued the previous year.