Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1930 Sporter - stock markings!?

Recent find - 1930 Sporter SA 1351759. Rifle looks fine for 90 years on the job! Trying to figure out the stock, has two"R" stamps as shown below. Any thoughts? Lotsa pics here

https://www.flickr.com/gp/46064258@N08/V3w3C07000

Last edited by Mgmks; 02-08-2023 at 08:06. Reason: typos and pics

It is most likely a Remington stock. Nice looking rifle. Military configured M1903s in nice shape can be expensive but I have not seen a sporterized M1903 sell for more than a few hundred dollars. Cabelas is asking $1350. Has the market changed that much?

Cabelas has their own ideas about the value of a sporterized M-1903. Those ideas are not always rooted in reality. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The rifle is an original Springfield Sporter, with what may be the original stock slightly worked over. The R could be the guy that inspected the stock, or the guy that worked the stock over. It would have originally had a circle P proof on the pistol grip, but may have been removed when stock was reworked.

I would turn the barrel band over. The U is for UP and should be on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The rifle is an original Springfield Sporter, with what may be the original stock slightly worked over. The R could be the guy that inspected the stock, or the guy that worked the stock over. It would have originally had a circle P proof on the pistol grip, but may have been removed when stock was reworked.

I would turn the barrel band over. The U is for UP and should be on the right side.
    Thanks - my initial inclination was this was likely a modified original stock, but not my area of expertise, and - order was restored earlier - "U" is now "UP"!

The original stocks had a flat butt and butt plate, with approximate 13.5 inch pull. The flat butt could be shortened if the stock was too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The original stocks had a flat butt and butt plate, with approximate 13.5 inch pull. The flat butt could be shortened if the stock was too long.
    Thanks - here are a few more pics. Also - The Butt-Pad is marked "Decelerator" (which is Pachmayr I think), and through it I can feel the two large holes a normal stock would have. It is also good to compare the contours of the two stocks. Note the stock retains the 13.5" LOP too. And - I have added these pics to the Flickr page as well. - Mike

The rifle in the link was a 1903 Springfield that has been "sporterized" but was not done by Springfield Armory. The Springfield Armory "Sporter" was first announced in 1924 at about serial number 1.24/1.25 million serial number range. It was a bare bones rifle, but had a slightly heavier "star gaged" barrel, and Lyman receiver sight. The barrel and receiver were rust blued, and the trigger guard assembly niter blued.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgmks View Post
    . . . Note the stock retains the 13.5" LOP too. . .
    I have to disagree with that measurement. Image below shows your ruler copied to where LOP is conventionally taken - center of trigger to center of butt. Looks like about 12.75".

Pull meas.jpg