1. Default Thoughts on this "mint" 1884 Trapdoor?

Any thoughts from you guys who know more about Trapdoors than I do? To my eye, something looks off about the stock - it's very dull brown (like almost a brown wood stain of some sort) and everywhere wood is chipped out (around lock or buttplate), the underlying wood is very bright. Same for the sharp edges of the shoulders next to the barrel which seem to be worn through the brown to the brighter walnut on the sharp edges. Just looks off to me for some reason. The wood is definitely old wood - that super dense grain is very hard to come by anymore except on old rifles. There's something about the color that is throwing me though.

Any thoughts?

https://www.joesalter.com/category/p...Trapdoor-Rifle

Speaking only as a novice in this sort of thing, that is a cracking sharp TD. Original? Beyond my pay grade. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

As my gunshow buddy says about most guns described as "mint", "meant" for someone else.

I don't see anything wrong with that - but what a price! Quite honestly, mine - also 1889 vintage - is probably a bit nicer, and I only paid $325 for it in 1971. People laughed at me, but I had faith. A rub-down with an oily rag would really make that thing sparkle - it's dry as a bone, which isn't helping the appearance at all.

Like Mr. Hosmer, I have a pristine 1889 rifle that puts that one to shame! IMHO, that rifle is just a 'shooter' worth maybe 4-5 hundred!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Like Mr. Hosmer, I have a pristine 1889 rifle that puts that one to shame! IMHO, that rifle is just a 'shooter' worth maybe 4-5 hundred!
    I think that's a little harsh - it's a pretty nice rifle, and easily a $2000 gun on today's market - but much better ones DEFINITELY do exist!!

I’d have to agree with Dick, that is a nice rifle. That price is rather high but I’d say it’s a 2000.00 to 2400.00 rifle with the bonus of a decent sling.

I bought an 1889 made trapdoor from Al Frasca not long ago for about 1300 dollars that?s got better color casehardening on it than that rifle.
    I think that you should look on Gunbroker for a trapdoor. You?ll be surprised what you?ll find.
    I also just bought an original trapdoor sling on eBay in excellent condition for about $60.00. I mounted it on my 1868 rifle, serial number 6.
    you?ve got to keep looking.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-09-2023 at 04:41.