1. Default Canadian Snipers

The sniper on the far left is holding a Ross rifle with a Winchester A5 scope mounted on it. I know squat about Aldis scopes. The Canadians helped train our snipers, and we owe them a great deal of thanks. A Canadian even wrote our sniper training book.

noname.jpg

Blog Entries

I was the Antique Arms show in Vegas after Shot, and even tho it was billed as an Antique show, it was a bit of everything,

been in the business many years, and saw more P14 and No 1 Snipers in one room that I have in my life,

the No1's were Aussie,

no Ross Rifles there, unfortunately

3. Default Another Canadian Sniper Trainer

Today, I will put a face to a man I have read much about (Marsden). I believe the little boy is Maj. Smith's son. Maj. Daulty Smith ran the OSD SOS School. SOS stands for Scout-Observer-Sniper. Observers carried a big scope on a tripod around with them and stayed back from the front line, Observers were pretty much on the move most of the time, and Snipers picked a spot and concealed themselves to wait for a shot. All three reported what they observed at the end of the day.

This is a crop of the original photo due to size (about 100 men to a class). I posted the entire picture on this forum about ten years ago. I got the picture from Martin Pegler, who retired as the Queen's Armorer to buy a winery and give motorcycle tours of France's battlefields. This picture appears in a book with a minor error in its caption. The caption states it is the Nov 1918 class, but it was actually the June 1918 class.

Marsden & Smith & Little Boy - Annotated.jpg

Thanks Jim, your posts are always great.

5. Default

Thank you.

Thanks Jim. I agree with K arga.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.