Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    IIRC it was then found the Krag's action could not handle the pressures of the 8x57.
    Norma made up some lower pressure loads, 8x57 moderat. In the 60s some of the imported rifles were rebarreled to .308 and .243. I got a couple of the .243 barrels off ebay. Sold one, got the other installed, but I've not finished building the project. There are reduced recoil .243 loads available and I might get the loading gate marked for them. If I had one of the .308s, it would be fed US Krag loads, since case capacity is nigh the same.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Default

The 2016 movie The King's Choice-you get to see plenty of Krags.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    One word on guns in movies. Today when you see a movie some of the guns are blank firers and some (usually most) are rubber models of the guns in question. If you look very closely you can sometimes identify the rubber models.
    had a customer that did this,

he would buy a nice example(s) of whatever the main characters would need, for close ups etc
    then a ratty example to make the mold out of,

he said the mold making process was not kind to the firearm, so they did not buy pristine examples for that, and would resort to non firing basket cases if they looked good enough on camera

I have an 1873 TD (250000 range) cast from some sort of black epoxy/resin/goo/whatever, marked "Ft. Benning GA", so NOT a movie gun. AMAZING detail - the only part poorly done is the hammer, and that may represent damage. Thinking of selling it to the "collector who has everything". Wonder what it would be worth?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    IIRC it was then found the Krag's action could not handle the pressures of the 8x57.
    I am not completely convinced on that. 6.5x55 is a high-pressure round with a rim diameter same as 8x57, except the 8 might be a little lower peak pressure. Maybe the Norwegian military ammo was loaded to a lower pressure than, say, Norma sporting rounds. One way to find out, I guess.

Adding a bit: the 8x57 Norwegian Krags were mostly made during the occupation. The workers slowed down production and may have sabotaged the guns themselves. The Occupation authorities and unionized Norwegian industrial workers were not on friendly terms.

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 11-19-2023 at 10:49. Reason: Add a thought