1. Default Another German Mauser - Input Needed

B]About 5 years ago, I purchased a German Mauser from a guy walking through a gun show. I put it up on a shelf and didn't touch until a couple of days ago. As near as I can tell , I examined it and it is all matching and has the duffel bag cut. The rifle appears to be in good shape, the metal is shiny black but the laminated wood stock has been through a war. I know that these German rifles Have a lot of associated history, but I don't know much about all the details, so I hope to refer a few questions to people that know a lot more.

The rifle was manufactured by Sauer & Sohn in 1940. The receiver is stamped with the code "147", The serial number is 4657. All parts are marked with this 4657 or in the case of small parts like screws the number "57". Between the receiver ring and the rear sight, it has the number "S59' stamped on the top of the barrel. The same piece is also stamped with serial number "4657". I don't know what this number is called or what this "S59" means. So this is my first question that I hope to get answered.

My second question is regarding the duffel bag cut. I would like to get it fixed correctly. I do not have the knowledge or tools to try this myself. Does anyone know of a professional type of service that could do a nice job of it ? I would appreciate any help with this rifle.
    [/B]

I?m thinking you can find all your answers here: (3) K98k Forum
    Last edited by JimF; 02-01-2023 at 12:25.

Blog Entries

IIRC S59 is the heat lot number

The barrels were not always manufactured by the company that made the rifle, and could be the barrel maker code.

5. Default

Barrels were Sauer's most common made part. They made most all their own barrels.

Still doesn't mean that it couldn't be another contractor. Could also be the company that made the steel for the barrel.

I had to repair a nice S/27 1938 ERMA with a duffle bag cut. Drilled a larger hole in both pieces, then pegged it with a dowel and glue, and put the bands back on to hold everything in place. Couldn't find a drill bit long enough to drill the dowel back out for the cleaning rod, and made a drill bit out of drill stock.