Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Stopping Power" - Interesting Video

While there are real no absolutes on this topic, at least at the top and low end (,other than long guns trump handguns,) this is an interesting video on the subject.

https??www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

One point that is made, perhaps a bit obliquely (only 9mm Parabellum is mentioned,) is your ammo matters. Gang bangers are not only bad shots but they shoot a lot of FMJ ammo which definitely is less effective.
    Last edited by Art; 01-24-2023 at 07:17.

I'll stick with my M1911 with a Ithaca M37 112-gauge beside the bedside table.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I'll stick with my M1911 with a Ithaca M37 112-gauge beside the bedside table.
    I would imagine both of those are more than sufficient .

Blog Entries

my pocket carry is a 32acp

not gonna change that,

my hip carry, if I feel the need, is either a 9 or a 45,

home\shop, 12 ga,

I never feel outgunned with any of them

5. Default

Long time ago read an article about buckshot. Author said it was effective because pellets were heavy enough to penetrate a mammal and each pellet created its own shock wave. As shock waves intersected they formed nodes which magnified the destruction to nerves and tissue at that point. High school physics.

Be interesting to learn stand alone statistics on .410 handgun shootings.

6. Default

Great video!! I have most types mentioned and with over 30 year LEO and armed dignitary protection. The wild card in all of this is PRACTICE! I have concealed carry and been so for over 35 years and I often practice with the hand gun I feel comfortable and carry the most. Yes people can argue my point, I respect that. When I carry, my go-to is my reliable Glock 19 9mm with a 15 round mag with one in the pipe about and when not working 95% of the time I carry. Why? Well when I got on the LEO the Glock 19 9mm just happened to be what was issued. Over the years I wanted to have a constant when I carry. I practiced so much with it at close range. Point and shoot, always at center of mass, I only train on aiming at distances further, cause at that point the most important factor is cover and concealment which allows you to take precious seconds on aiming. I practicing with 3 targets around 15-20 feet and its controlled 3 round bursts per target point and shoot. And before I get roasted for favoring a 9mm please realize that's the one I personally feel comfortable and sure on shooting. Bottom line in a close range SHTF situation, you have ZERO time to aim or even rack a round on any auto let alone finding cover. Revolvers, YES big advantage. All of us have different likes and preferences with handguns. I have S&Ws, Rugers, revolvers even have the Governor along with long guns, I love them all. Its just me, feeling confident on what feels good in my hand and on my hip. And judging from the video which is an excellent video most rounds at close quarters will do the job. Obviously long guns are the king. As for home defense, most important is who else lives with you in other bedrooms. A high velocity round will penetrate a wall and may injure a family member instead. I have always still have my G19 at my bedside as I feel confident BUT I do have a tactical 12 gauge pump with 00 buckshot. Also I have no lights on inside my house at night. I ask you all this, can you walk thru your house without bumping into things in the dark? An intruder cannot, not knowing the layout, making noise gives him away. Then the only thing he will see is a flash. Just my take guys, I know everyone has different tactics and firearms. The key is what works best for you and ALWAYS practice so it becomes second nature to you
    Last edited by RicM; 01-24-2023 at 07:19.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    my pocket carry is a 32acp

not gonna change that,

my hip carry, if I feel the need, is either a 9 or a 45,

home\shop, 12 ga,

I never feel outgunned with any of them
    Do you carry that Colt M1903 Safety Hammerless? Those are great, great guns. My Indian giving mother in law gave one to our son then, a year later, when she found it was worth something demanded it back. It was really accurate despite the dime sights and I bought some Winchester Silver Tips for it.

It's one of histories great carry guns, not short but very thin and easy to conceal, and if I had one I'd carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by RicM View Post
    Great video!! I have most types mentioned and with over 30 year LEO and armed dignitary protection. The wild card in all of this is PRACTICE! I have concealed carry and been so for over 35 years and I often practice with the hand gun I feel comfortable and carry the most. Yes people can argue my point, I respect that. When I carry, my go-to is my reliable Glock 19 9mm with a 15 round mag with one in the pipe about and when not working 95% of the time I carry. Why? Well when I got on the LEO the Glock 19 9mm just happened to be what was issued. Over the years I wanted to have a constant when I carry. I practiced so much with it at close range. Point and shoot, always at center of mass, I only train on aiming at distances further, cause at that point the most important factor is cover and concealment which allows you to take precious seconds on aiming. I practicing with 3 targets around 15-20 feet and its controlled 3 round bursts per target point and shoot. And before I get roasted for favoring a 9mm please realize that's the one I personally feel comfortable and sure on shooting. Bottom line in a close range SHTF situation, you have ZERO time to aim or even rack a round on any auto let alone finding cover. Revolvers, YES big advantage. All of us have different likes and preferences with handguns. I have S&Ws, Rugers, revolvers even have the Governor along with long guns, I love them all. Its just me, feeling confident on what feels good in my hand and on my hip. And judging from the video which is an excellent video most rounds at close quarters will do the job. Obviously long guns are the king. As for home defense, most important is who else lives with you in other bedrooms. A high velocity round will penetrate a wall and may injure a family member instead. I have always still have my G19 at my bedside as I feel confident BUT I do have a tactical 12 gauge pump with 00 buckshot. Also I have no lights on inside my house at night. I ask you all this, can you walk thru your house without bumping into things in the dark? An intruder cannot, not knowing the layout, making noise gives him away. Then the only thing he will see is a flash. Just my take guys, I know everyone has different tactics and firearms. The key is what works best for you and ALWAYS practice so it becomes second nature to you
    One point should be made -- handguns are difficult to shoot under the best of circumstances. In a home invasion, you're going to be shooting in very dim light. A gun that is designed for point shooting gives you an advantage. That's a big plus for the shotgun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Do you carry that Colt M1903 Safety Hammerless? Those are great, great guns. My Indian giving mother in law gave one to our son then, a year later, when she found it was worth something demanded it back. It was really accurate despite the dime sights and I bought some Winchester Silver Tips for it.

It's one of histories great carry guns, not short but very thin and easy to conceal, and if I had one I'd carry it.
    on occasion, yes, I do,

ETA if you mean the 1903 Automatic

very accurate and quite comfortable to carry

FWIW, I have a couple 1903 Hammer guns, (38auto) that I have been tempted to go shoot,

The overwhelming vast majority of folks are not able to afford multiple single purpose firearms for self-defense. They may own a handgun or a shotgun, maybe just a rifle. To afford large quantities of ammunition required for live fire practice is not likely within the budget of these folks. Happily most attackers are not going to be wearing body armor. Happily most any decent hit to the head of torso is going to stand a very good chance of incapacitating if not completely ending the threat. The necessity for such firearms and training is greatly mitigated by basic steps such as fencing, exterior lights, quality security locks on doors/windows, alarm systems, etc. It is always best to keep a problem outside the dwelling than to plan tactics to support a "repel all boarders" strategy. What then is the takeaway? If one is a prepper... well... your going to plan for a EOTWAWKI event. If you are a citizen with nominally routine home security concerns, you will plan a layer of tactics to keep intruders/attackers outside rather than inside the dwelling. For my part, doors and windows are very well secured. Exterior cameras, motion sensors for lights are next. Firearms? Have a 9mm, .380, couple of .357's and a trio of fearsome attack cats within a six foot radius at night. During the day at work ... a .380 is in my pocket. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."