1. Default 1873 Trapdoor Armory Upgrade Question

My 1873 Trapdoor appears to have never been upgraded. That is it doesn't seem to have been rotated through for any armory upgrades/refurbishments. I say this as a complete novice when it comes to trapdoors but others that have looked at it have said it is all original for early 1874 which is when it was manufactured. If true, I?m curious if there is a general opinion as to why?

I read in a post that by order, regulars were not to mark weapons. Mine has several numbers stamped on the wrist of the stock top and bottom also with a number stamped on the top of the butt plate opposite the "US" stamp. Should I assume that with these multiple markings it was probably issued to a militia or state unit?

The seller had given me a couple of pages from a list of serial numbers that showed where various serial numbers were issued. My serial number is 4927 this list showed 4919 going to the 4th Infantry with 4932 also going to the 4th Infantry but no listing for mine. Then there was a page that showed 4900 going to the 5th Infantry (damaged) with 4945 going to the 5th also damaged. Then finally, there was a page that showed 4918 going to an individual in the 5th with 4931 going to the company store room at the 5th.

In each case no specific mention of my serial number. Again reading a post in the group I saw the statement ?close means nothing when searching the lists?.

So I?m assuming even if the serial numbers above and below mine went to the 5th or the 4th my rifle could have gone to say the Ohio National Guard just to toss out a name? If it went to a guard unit would that explain why it never received any upgrades?

I?m just curious as it does seem amazing to have never gone back in for an upgrade. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Bottom line: NOTHING counts in the serial number game except a DIRECT reference to that exact number. Anything beyond that is pure speculation so far as the individual arm is concerned, with the exception of the fact that, based on the arm's current configuration, certain inferences may be drawn as to its' GENERAL usage - your point about stamped numbers is a good, and valid, one.

If it IS "as made" (pics please) we can surmise that it apparently escaped the "under 50,000" recall of October 1879. Why? Lost? Missing? Taken by a deserter? Just overlooked?

3. Default

I will get some pictures. Thank you for the reply. Lots to learn.

4. Default

Okay. I have created an album and put 12 photos in it. Now, if I understand it correctly if I paste the BB code here others can view the photos?
    Does one code link to all 12 photos or do I need to paste in all 12 BB codes? I guess I'm about to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear god, that's somewhat large. Maybe best at this point to go to my album to view the photos. I did click public.

Where is your album?

I assume those numbers are on the top of the wrist?

6. Default

Yes, those stamps are at the top. On the home page of the forum I went to the drop down menu "Community" went to album and created one called 1873 Trapdoor Rifle. In my fumbling around I created one followed by an updated one but I believe they are the same. In future I will reduce the size of the photographs. I thought I had but obviously not.

Thanks for the pictures. That is, so far as I can see, an "original as made" M1873 rifle. Certainly does have a large assortment of markings, and must have had a long history of use, which, unfortunately we'll likely never be able to decipher. Your pictures are NOT too large at all. I also have to say that despite being a member here for many years, I'd never explored the Community page and had NO idea that such albums could be posted here. Will have to look into using it myself.

8. Default

Thank you for taking the time look and for all the info. On my rifle. I have enjoyed learning about it.