Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

'03s with the "S" stock are hard kickers. My old daddy who shot them some in training with the SeaBees said the '03s recoil was stout and in the prone position brutal. An '03A1 isn't so bad thanks to the "C" stock. I have also found full size Lee Enfields to be easier on you due partly to the somewhat less powerful cartridge, a comfortable butt plate and a good stock design.

You are correct, Lyman, I shoot my '03A3 better than any of my other milsurps (my Garand is a close second followed by my No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield,) The 03A3 is mechanically very accurate, has excellent sights and a good trigger.
    Last edited by Art; 01-11-2023 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I learned quickly to move my thumb when shooting the 1903 in competition,

never broke my nose, but it was uncomfortable,

03's are damn good shooters, very accurate
    And the '03A3 is just as good as the basic '03, with more practical sights.

Have been shooting 03-A3 and later 03 rifles since 1979. Wonderful rifles. In good condition, gun for gun, they will shoot rings around most every other common surplus military rifle ever fielded. This is especially true of the 03-A3. Just about an ideal product improvement on the 03. Very much like the K-98's and the M-17's. Have owned and shot various Enfields. Imagine most of them would have fared better w/ less barrel damage had the ammo been loaded with a better propellant. Still, none of these rifles were intended for fine accuracy but rather effectiveness in the field against infantry, etc. For this purpose even the Italian rifles were effective. Nowadays, I still enjoy my 03 rifles both of which rearsenaled during WWII. My 03-A3's are my favorites for just about everything. Especially like the S stock as it allows me to fire from the right side but use my left eye for aiming. I find it to be an excellent solution for my having only the use of my left eye. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Have been shooting 03-A3 and later 03 rifles since 1979. Wonderful rifles. In good condition, gun for gun, they will shoot rings around most every other common surplus military rifle ever fielded. This is especially true of the 03-A3. Just about an ideal product improvement on the 03. Very much like the K-98's and the M-17's. Have owned and shot various Enfields. Imagine most of them would have fared better w/ less barrel damage had the ammo been loaded with a better propellant. Still, none of these rifles were intended for fine accuracy but rather effectiveness in the field against infantry, etc. For this purpose even the Italian rifles were effective. Nowadays, I still enjoy my 03 rifles both of which rearsenaled during WWII. My 03-A3's are my favorites for just about everything. Especially like the S stock as it allows me to fire from the right side but use my left eye for aiming. I find it to be an excellent solution for my having only the use of my left eye. Sincerely. bruce.
    I have a Remington with the S stock and a Smith-Corona with the scant stock. I understand the scant stock -- best they could do at the time, with type S blanks and a type C master in the profile lathe. And it does help return the shooting hand to the correct position. But the S stock is just cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    . . . . . .And it does help return the shooting hand to the correct position. . . . . .
    The biggest ?plus? of the scant stock is its? higher and more parallel line to the bore, than the ?S? stock. Almost as good as a ?C? stock!

Makes for a much better stock in ALL positions. (Even offhand when about half the buttplate is exposed above the shoulder. As viewed from the rear.)

The old, crooked, ?S? stock is only OK for offhand (stand up like a man) shooting.

AGAIN!!! Query marks instead of apostrophes and quotation marks!!

WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED???
    Last edited by JimF; 01-15-2023 at 06:49.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    The biggest ?plus? of the scant stock is its? higher and more parallel line to the bore, than the ?S? stock. Almost as good as a ?C? stock!
    That shouldn't be surprising -- the Scant Stock is the same as the C Stock. It was made by using S Stock blanks cut on a profile lathe with the C Stock master.