Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    I mentioned I had purchased a Wilson Headspace/ Cartridge gauge.. I’m trying to adjust the die to conform to the gauge which I hope is the correct thing to do.
    Thanks everyone I’ll go back and give it another try..
    John in SC
    Forget the Wislon gauge and find an open side Sheridan so you can see what is going on. This will let you know if your cartridge is acceptable or not.
    Last edited by nf1e; 01-04-2023 at 01:57.

Changed locking rings ( had some from estate sale) and I’m getting the results I want.
    John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Lee sells their aluminum lock rings with an O-ring set into it. Once you have the die adjusted like you want it, you hand tighten the lock ring down. The friction from the O-ring on the top of the press keeps the ring from loosening off but is a simple matter to loosen with your fingers for readjustment.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain

4. Default

I'm using the "hex nut with a lock screw" type, but the ones where it bears inwards to the threads, not sideways to clamp. Just make sure there's a bush down inside so the force applied is axial, not rotational.
    When locking an adjustment I raise the press ram fully to contact & force up (& concentric) the die within the press body then re tighten the lock nut on the die & lock it. That's why I like the hex nut, not the knurled, so I can use a wrench to tighten/loosen it later.

5. Default

I understand all reloaders taught themselves how to reload, in the big-inning I figured a way to hold the die and secure the lock-nut. If there was a problem it would be with those that use some kind of a tool that makes the lock nut look as though the user was using a gorilla grip tool to hold/secure the lock-nut.

F. Guffey

6. Default

I mentioned I had purchased a Wilson Headspace/ Cartridge gauge..
    My cases do not have head space, I use the length of the case from the datum to the case head to off set the length of the chamber.

F. Guffey

[QUOI have one that was cut in half, I made a jig and aligned it and then stuck it back together. I have bolts that work, I doubt I will ever get around to using it.

F. GuffeyTE][/QUOTE][QUOTE]
    You are the Greast.

J.cook in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    My cases do not have head space, I use the length of the case from the datum to the case head to off set the length of the chamber.

F. Guffey
    I set my sizing die to set the shoulder back about .004 from chamber size. I usually anneal before sizing and then ss wet tumble, dry and then trim on my Giraud. Then set my seaters to BTO - .100 to start and then usually work to .075 to .095 depending on the bullet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    [QUOI have one that was cut in half, I made a jig and aligned it and then stuck it back together. I have bolts that work, I doubt I will ever get around to using it.

F. GuffeyTE]
    You are the Greast.

J.cook in SC

10. Default

Then set my seaters to BTO - .100 to start and then usually work to .075 to .095 depending on the bullet.
    I understand, with a different method/technique all is possible without the guess work and the tools required are home made.

F. Guffey