Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Loading Die Locking Rings

Need some input on locking ring for my full length sizing

die. Currently using the squeeze type which is tightened with an Allen screw.
    This is a pain in the butt when I?m trying to adjust.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Blog Entries

I use a Co Ax, it uses the squeeze type or the big ring with an allen screw,

by design, cannot use the standard hex rings, like on a dillon etc,

I have used the same rings on a single stage C or O press with out problems, just set as normal, tighten in place, and go,

what troubles are you having?

When I lock these type, after gaining the adjustment I want, I grasp BOTH the ring and die between fore-finger and thumb, turn BOTH counter-clockwise, and THEN tighten the Allen screw.

I use a Co Ax, it uses the squeeze type or the big ring with an allen screw,

by design, cannot use the standard hex rings, like on a dillon etc,

I have used the same rings on a single stage C or O press with out problems, just set as normal, tighten in place, and go,

what troubles are you having?
    When trying to adjust the die up or down to get correct(as near as possible) shoulder set back, I have to rotate the die and loosen the set screw and they both want to turn as I tighten the die back to the press. I'm probably not making myself very clear on this problem. ' I ordered Wilson Headspace /cartridge length gauge and maybe I'm trying to be to precise. Sorry to mention HEADSPACE .. Someone will come out of the woodworks..
    john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 01-03-2023 at 09:17.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Jim, I'm using Lyman rings. It appears to me when I think the ring is tight they aren't. That is where I lose my cool. The set screw feels really snug but isn't. What type rings are you using. I've seen quite a bit of praise for the Hornady design.

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 01-03-2023 at 07:08. Reason: change brand name

I also use a Co-ax press. Set the dies once and that's it. Pull them out of the slot put in storage and pop them back in the next time. No more adjusting rings every time I change dies. Whatta Hobby!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    When trying to adjust the die up or down to get correct(as near as possible) shoulder set back, I have to rotate the die and loosen the set screw and they both want to turn as I tighten the die back to the press. I'm probably not making myself very clear on this problem. ' I ordered Wilson Headspace /cartridge length gauge and maybe I'm trying to be to precise. Sorry to mention HEADSPACE .. Someone will come out of the woodworks..
    john in SC
    doing the usual , as in turn the die down till it touches and back up a 1\2, is relatively easy,

just hold the die body, let it touch, when the press is extended, then hold the die, turn , and the twist the lock ring back in place, and tighten

on the Co Ax, you raise the ram, make sure the die touches (it can be tricky until you get how it works) and relax the ram, pull the die and tighten, then check and recheck to make sure you have it right,

once set, it is set for good,

Blog Entries

What hasn't been said is the case prep; sizing includes shoulder set back and case head to mouth uniform case length will affect sizing.

What hasn't been said is the case prep; sizing includes shoulder set back and case head to mouth uniform case length will affect sizing.
    I mentioned I had purchased a Wilson Headspace/ Cartridge gauge.. I’m trying to adjust the die to conform to the gauge which I hope is the correct thing to do.
    Thanks everyone I’ll go back and give it another try..
    John in SC

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Jim, I'm using Lyman rings. It appears to me when I think the ring is tight they aren't. That is where I lose my cool. The set screw feels really snug but isn't. ? . . . . .
    John . . .
    I’m using some Lyman, some RCBS, some old Pacific, and some Hornady . . . .

I had the same problem as you are with the old Lyman rings.
    To solve the “seems tight, but isn’t” problem, I removed the set screw and installed some #8 lead shot then reinstalled the screw.
    The lead will squish down into the threads of the die body.
    Problem solved!

Luck to ya’, —Jim
    Last edited by JimF; 01-04-2023 at 01:44.