1. Default 1899 Krag Safety Lever Install

I have a 1898 Krag made in mid 1899. Problem is the Safety Lever seems to be 1892-1894 and it was broken when I acquired my Krag some years ago. The Spring Spindle which makes the Safety Lever lock into position is broken missing the top knob part that slides in the groove. It caused the Krag to jam in open position. At the base of the Lever Thumb-Piece there is a tiny screw that once removed the broken Spring Spindle and Spring come right out. (See Attached Photo and Diagram) So after always searching I finally found and acquired the correct and original Safety Lever for my 1899 Krag.

My problem is the Spring Spindle and Spring are already installed in the Safety Lever from the factory where is cannot be removed. So installing this Safety lever is the problem. Pushing the Spring Spindle in while installing the Lever where it can lock back in place.

Is there any other way on installing it? I cannot find any way on how to install it.

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 6.30.48 PM.jpg

AFAIK, you just have to lever it in with a small screwdriver, putting pressure on the ball-tip while you push the safety on with your thumb.

3. Default

Thanks Dick! Took about 45 minutes and three jabs into my fingers using two jeweler flat head screw drivers and one slightly larger one, I heard that joyful snap as it went it place and is working fine!! Kinda figured that you were correct just was hoping for an easier way. HA There is no other way

I'm sure they had a holding jig and perhaps some sort of pivoting, possibly weighted, pushing/clamping doohickey and almost certainly a specially-shaped blade, but, with a captive spring device like that there really is no "other way". The cutoff lever, of course, is much the same thing - a little easier perhaps because of the long shaft engagement which holds it aligned whilst you're prying.

5. Default

Most of the sleeves on the Krag/1903?s have a little area where there will be sort of a smoothed over place where the little plunger doesn?t have such a jump to get in the groove. Find this area, line up the plunger and slot and tap with a plastic mallet to reassemble. Using the same area makes disassembly easier.