Default M1882RB parts at Lewis & Grant

Well, I've now participated in my very first online auction using Proxibid. Pretty seamless, but annoying as the pages jump around as you are trying to monitor more than one item.

Good news - I won the receiver and breechblock for 197404 (lot 40) for a VERY modest price, all things considered. Jack Lewis told me that the block was right but extractor is no good, however I've figured out how to make it function as it should.

Even better news, I did NOT win the bent swivel stuff (lot 37). It went for WAAY more than I was willing to pay for a trigger guard and upper band, since swivels - especially those intended for a faux 'five-footer' - can be bent, AND there was some question about whether the bands were even for an 1882, some looked like they might possibly be for the XC.

Would be interesting to know who bid so much on lot 37 - is someone else also constructing, or restoring, an M1882, perhaps with a number not yet recorded - could be, as they apparently did not need a receiver.

Blog Entries

link to parts that sold? or name of auction house on proxibid?

Lewis & Grant - "December Timed Auction" - Lots 37 and 40.

Always interesting to see what things go for. Can't believe how much parts have gone up in the last 10 years. I'm talking run of the mill items and not something rare.

https://www.proxibid.com/Lewis-Grant...log/233418?#37

For reference of 37 and 40. And congratulations in the receiver.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Dick, it looks to me that you could bend a standard swivel.

Well, the receiver was what I really wanted, but if I'd known I could have gotten the swivels & bands for $275 I would have. Problem with Proxibid is that the screens jump around as you try to keep up with the action. Apparently I even managed to place a bid on a lot I did not want, as I got a condolence message from L&G - thank goodness I lost it!

Jack Lewis says the block HAS the ring cut but the extractor does not have the raised lip. I believe that can be fixed fairly easily by getting a steel bushing (McMaster-Carr) that will fit the ring, then drill out the extractor and maybe do a shrink fit, though the bushing can be loose - just so long as it transfers the pressure from the spring to the block - of course, when assembled, one would never know, and it would be cool to be able to show the hold-open feature, even though it was disliked by the troops.

I have a REALLY rough and butt-ugly duplicate M1880TRB which I am CONSIDERING sacrificing for the bayonet latch, buttplate, etc. A member here (John Harbeck) was kind enough to machine a housing for me, but I've never finished it, so have options. All told, at worst, my "five-foot replica", should set me back less than $2000, dribbled out over 40+ years. I can live with that, when proper ones go for nearly $40,000! Of course, it would be simpler to do the non-RB version, but not as much fun, and 197404 is one of the RB numbers.

Yes, I think the swivels can be bent, using a short scrap of cloths rod, a half-circle walnut block and a BIG vise! Biggest problem may be finding the right band to start with.

I've been dragging my feet on this project - for a number of reasons - but I think now is the time to make it happen.