Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    He was entertaining -- but notice how he fumbled reloading, both the Springfield and the Garand.
    I can sympathize - It looks simple, but I have yet to successfully load any of my rifles with a stripper clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    It's the aiming that counts.
    Absolutely correct. Aiming with 10 rounds in the magazine that could be easily topped off and didn’t go PING when it was empty. The Confederate soldiers complained the damn Yankees had new carbines that they would load on Sunday and shoot them all week.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-10-2023 at 03:18.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    The 10 round magazine is an advantage in Volley Fire -- a tactic the British abandoned when their enemies quit standing in serried ranks. The No. 1 MK III* which came out in January of 1916 omitted the volley sights.

Now consider this -- you and I are going to fire 100 rounds as fast as we can -- you have a SMLE, I have a Springfield. We start with loaded magazines. After 5 rounds, I have to reload. You keep firing for another 5 rounds, then you need to reload -- with 5-round clips. At the end of the exercise, I've crammed 19 5-round clips into my rifle, and you've used 18 -- not much difference.
    um,, Vern, the No 1 MK III* was just a change, (LoC) for 1916,
    so technically, the No 1 Mk III* did not just come out, as a LoC, (list of changes) they were manufactured without , but some were redone with (and the * barred out) etc etc, others not changed till years later,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Absolutely correct. Aiming with 10 rounds in the magazine that could be easily topped off and didn’t go PING when it was empty. The Confederate soldiers complained the damn Yankees had new carbines that they would load on Sunday and shoot them all week.
    When R Lee was alive, he was a regular CMP shooter for the games matches. After shooting with him in Arizona, I'd say he could load the M1 and 1903 just fine for rapids.

I make sure my reloaded rounds run smooth in my stripper clips. I use the same 30-06 brass for all rifles and my M1's can certainly chew up the rims.

Blog Entries

It's the aiming that counts.
    correct, and reloads are actually quite easy with all 3, if you practice

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    um,, Vern, the No 1 MK III* was just a change, (LoC) for 1916,
    so technically, the No 1 Mk III* did not just come out, as a LoC, (list of changes) they were manufactured without , but some were redone with (and the * barred out) etc etc, others not changed till years later,
    True, but the signature change was elimination of volley sights and of the magazine cutoff.

Blog Entries

When R Lee was alive, he was a regular CMP shooter for the games matches. After shooting with him in Arizona, I'd say he could load the M1 and 1903 just fine for rapids.

I make sure my reloaded rounds run smooth in my stripper clips. I use the same 30-06 brass for all rifles and my M1's can certainly chew up the rims.
    only issue I ever had was if it was hot and I got sweaty, the last round would sometimes slip out from under my thumb, and I would have to push is back in there,
    never really slowed me down too much, (and I learned to wipe my hand if I touched my sweaty head,,,)

folks that poo poo on bolt actions really should go watch a games or similar match and see a good shooter run a bolt gun in Rapids

A good friend of mine was a serious Wimbledon shooter (20 shots at a thousand yards.) He said the key is to shoot fast -- wait for the right wind conditions and bang out as many shots as you can before the wind changes. Many top shooters chose bolt actions because they could shoot those faster than either the M1 or M14.

9. Default

The "ping" of the M1 Rifle clip was almost deafening, and could apparently be heard over the noise of battle by the enemy hundreds of yards away, or so legend has it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The "ping" of the M1 Rifle clip was almost deafening, and could apparently be heard over the noise of battle by the enemy hundreds of yards away, or so legend has it.
    BS,, and has been disproved many times,

I was amazed on my first trip to Perry, standing behind the lines during a Garand Match, at how quiet it was, I was thinking it would be deafening, but 50 yrds or so behind the line and you did not need ear pro, and never heard a ping,
    heard gunshots, but not loud,