Default M1 Carbine Leather Scabbard - PO Modified - thoughts?

This is the short version of an interesting and longish story. I now have a Leather M1 Carbine scabbard to go with the rifles of ?great carbine giveaway? of CMP many years ago!. It has been modified by a PO by adding 11.5? likely to fit a .30-30 or a .22 rifle. Good news is all the straps, clips and tip piece are there. It all appears in remarkably good shape ? I will have the extension removed and the tip replaced to its rightful place sometime this next summer when funds catch back up. You just never know what will show up hanging from the rafters in a random shop!

Thoughts?

A question answered with a question.

I see these original scabbard's on ebay for around $300-$400. Reproductions go for $50-$100 listed as real leather.

Yours has been modified once so the collector value is diminished somewhat. Will the cost to have it restored outweigh the worth? It will still have signs of being altered even after completion.

That is a heck of a find!!! I bet a good leather shop could restore that to its original glory.

Congratulations .

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yours has been modified once so the collector value is diminished somewhat. Will the cost to have it restored outweigh the worth?
    Well - good questions. As it is - it is worth "not too much". Repaired to original - maybe $200-$250. I have $100 into it, and figure about $100 more to "restore it". The guy that will do the work is pretty Old School - and in the end - doesn't really matter as I don't have one now and was not going to seek one out. He is busy for a while into early 2023, and I need to let the disposable income build back up - so figure Feb/Mar 2023 for the repair. Best part - there is a a story at the the end of the day! May have the "excess" made into mini wallets or business card holders or similar.

Glad you are saving this piece of history regardless of $ value.

Well done.

Thanks for the update.

Default carbine scabbard 1943

I was given this 1943 dated carbine scabbard many years ago, thought about selling it
    but difficult to price ? Even bought repro straps but they just don't look good.
    Any idea as to value ?P1010041_0039.jpgP1010044_0042.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I was given this 1943 dated carbine scabbard many years ago, thought about selling it
    but difficult to price ? Even bought repro straps but they just don't look good.
    Any idea as to value ?
    Not really. My MilSurp buddy said $100-$150 all day long tops for good condition. I don't believe him as my online scouring showed $200/$250-$300 or more for good complete ones appearing as sold. Think what has driven prices up is the CMP "Great Carbine Giveaway" from about 10 years or more ago. That is why I have about $175 plus another $25 in gas into this one!

Somewhere in there is yours!

Here are some better pics of the repaired scabbard as I am back at my desktop PC and not trying to do this on the phone!
    Mike