Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Repair

Default Auto Repair

When I was young my head was always under the hood of a car. I spent many a night working underneath cars as well. Now days you have to dig through shrouds, covers, countless hoses, turbo's, connectors, sensors, large plastic tubes, gizmo's, and wtf's just to find the engine so I mostly let the "new" young guys handle that when needed.

Mostly, as I've aged and become somewhat arthritic and stiff I simply can't reach the parts on the engines. Pick ups are a good example, they keep making them larger and larger yet the engines are made smaller and smaller. More HP and torque but dimensionally smaller engines that are hard to reach sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Dipsticks: A friend couldn't find his dipstick so he purchased a new one, he could not find where it was supposed to go so he brought it to me. I misunderstood, I thought he could not find the dipstick because he lost it. AND THEN (?) but before that I had called the manufacturer of the vehicle, they instructed me to drain the oil and change the filter. After that they gave me the instructions on how to mark the new dip stick.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Dipsticks: A friend couldn't find his dipstick so he purchased a new one,
    Sometimes referred to as 710, 710 caps, or 710 dipsticks by blondes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It took me a minute to understand the cartoon with the deer. I've been lucky enough not to have ever hit one but I was about 30 seconds behind a woman who did so. Fortunately we weren't driving at high speed but she certainly got a serious dent in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    It took me a minute to understand the cartoon with the deer. I've been lucky enough not to have ever hit one but I was about 30 seconds behind a woman who did so. Fortunately we weren't driving at high speed but she certainly got a serious dent in the front.
    It happened to me once at 4:00am on the way to work. I saw the buck on the opposite side of the road and slowed down. He waited till I got right up on him then he darted out. I hit him with the right side of my car so he almost cleared.

I had just dropped collision insurance on that car it being my work car and the fact we had just bought a new one, so I was left holding the bag on repairs. Though it was a big car it had a fiberglass front (header) that got broken. This part holds the headlights, grill and so forth so I had to replace it all. Ended up costing $2,000. That was years ago too.

6. Default

I once killed a kangaroo with a 1967 Volkswagon Beetle .... was a fatality for both the Roo and the Beetle ..... and Roo meat tastes like chit

Those cartoons gave me a good laugh, especially the
    too short dipstick and the 710.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    I once killed a kangaroo with a 1967 Volkswagon Beetle .... was a fatality for both the Roo and the Beetle ..... and Roo meat tastes like chit
    When I was visiting Melbourne I had the opportunity to try Kangaroo as an appetizer at dinner. I found that it looked a little pale, like veal. The meat was covered in a heavy red chutney or something so that you really couldn't taste the meat itself. When I saw it in a display at the Sydney fish market, it had clearly been marinated in a heavy sauce of some sort so I suspect that the butchers and chefs were making an effort to improve the taste

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    When I was visiting Melbourne I had the opportunity to try Kangaroo as an appetizer at dinner. I found that it looked a little pale, like veal. The meat was covered in a heavy red chutney or something so that you really couldn't taste the meat itself. When I saw it in a display at the Sydney fish market, it had clearly been marinated in a heavy sauce of some sort so I suspect that the butchers and chefs were making an effort to improve the taste
    Reminds me of crayfish (crawdads, mud bugs). They look like small lobsters but live in fresh water swampy areas like shallow swamps, drainage ditches and such. I use to have a couple as pets in one of my aquariums . The people here in the South go ape chit over them particularly around the Louisiana area.

Some of my co-workers would cook them and pass them around. They are always cooked with crab boil (a mix of spices) which gives them a crab boil flavor. I once asked one of the "cooks" why they were never cooked like a lobster or shrimp and served with melted butter. He said they have sort of a dirty taste. I said, well that should tell you something. You can cook anything in crab boil and it will taste the same, why cook bugs?

Needless to say, I don't eat them and never have.

That Kangaroo meat would taste just like crayfish if cooked in crab boil.

10. Default

Just like putting a ham hock in a pot of peas, to enhance the flavor. The peas don't tast like a hog.