Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn barrels

Default Saturn barrels

A little cool this morning. 25 deg and snowing with a light breeze. Rifle is Bula XM21 211 with Saturn/Liberty Heavy Stainless barrel in 1-10. Tweaked the JAE barrel tensioner an additional 1/4 turn and the group improved from a 1" average at 100 yds for 10 rnds to less than a .6 for 10. This is shot from the mag and off a bipod. Ammo is 115 Berger fb over 45 gn of Norma N-201 set off with Tula berdan primers. Whatta Hobby!

New rifles.jpgSaturn 12 11 22.jpg

Art you have a lot of great rifles how about some 2 to 3 hundred yard groups ?

kurt

Don't see the necessity Kurt. My range does go out to 300 here, but what would be the purpose. I figure if I need any of my rifles for property protection I would not be using them past 100 for identification anyway.
    I do use a 500 - 1200 range for some of my bolt rifles, but that's a whole other lifeform.

Art, did you know a gunsmith named Harry Height in New Preston, he worked on a parker for me early 60's ?

kurt

Quote Originally Posted by k arga View Post
    Art, did you know a gunsmith named Harry Height in New Preston, he worked on a parker for me early 60's ?

kurt
    I knew him, Kurt . . . .

He did a few jobs for me and I would go up to visit him at least once a week.

When he decided to close up shop here to move to Ohio to be with his son, I helped him clean up his basement of some of his ?treasures.?
    (For instance, there was a carton of new, surplus, .30 cal. Browning machine gun barrels that he would re-work to mount on various bolt action receivers. They went to Ohio with him.)
    Believe it or not, I also BURNED some military stocks just outside the doorway to his shop/basement. He was of the era when sporterizing military weapons was in its? hey-day.

Harry had a dog that roamed the shop . . . . .EATING spent primers that were scattered around!

For some unknown reason, he always called me ?George? . . . .while my name is Jim! (never did find out why!)

Did you know he was the brother-in-law of the gun writer (and handloader) Ken Waters?
    Last edited by JimF; 12-12-2022 at 06:26.

I may be a little confused, but I thought he was in Woodbury or Kent. Didn't know he had a shop in New Preston.

that was judson darrel.

Right you are.

Quote Originally Posted by k arga View Post
    that was judson darrel.
    That was Judson Darrow . . . .not Darrel.

I was not a fan of his, but he knew his stuff!

Didn't Harry Height have his shop on rt 7 in Kent? Seems to me it was in a log cabin type building.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the guy. Only met him once. He bought a pile of Krag and 03 parts that I had acquired and had no use for.