Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Apes

Major Tom,

You got me thinking. I do not have any stories about Rock Apes, but I have a monkey story for you.

In the mid 70's I was on the island of Bali. We heard about this monkey temple up in the hills. So we rented some of those little Honda 50's scooters and made our way up.

Naturally of course being an organized guy I thought about how I could entice those monkeys out so we could get a picture of them.

So we loaded up our pockets with monkey treats, peanuts and such. Well you probably have seen a similar set-up, when we got to the monkey temple (it was to the left in the jungle a bit). To the right was a large clearing (gravel parking lot) with those typical stalls you see in the far east, selling whatever.

Well as soon as we pulled into the parking lot about a 100 monkeys came charging out of the jungle and jumped us. They climbed all over us pulling everything out of our pockets, keys, money and of course monkey treats.

You did not dare reach up and try to rescue anything, as soon as you did they snarled and bared their nasty pointy monkey teeth. They kept the treats and threw everything else down on the ground.

I don't think that this little xxxxer got off my shoulder for quire awhile, I see we are at the temple when the picture was taken.

Thanks Major Tom for reminding me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of my guys had a monkey he kept in our 'barracks'. Bad thing was, it was a female! The monkey went back to where ever monkeys go!
    BTW, nice photo of you Ken!
    Last edited by Major Tom; 02-10-2023 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    One of my guys had a monkey he kept in our 'barracks'. Bad thing was, it was a female! The monkey went back to where ever monkeys go!
    BTW, nice photo of you Ken!
    +1 on the photo.

For what it's worth, I never liked monkey's, especially after watching their behavior in zoos and on TV. At zoo's they would sling their crap at you to the extent that they had to be kept behind glass or plexiglass. I've read where chimps kill and eat each other in the wild. Smaller monkey's are often aggressive--you never know what they are going to do. They may sit on your shoulder all day peacefully or they may decide to take a big bite off of your ear.

Give me a dog, cat, bird or fish but not a monkey.

5. Default

Major Tom,
    Don't recall monkeys but do recall the lizards.
    We were in I-Corps by the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeShooter View Post
    Major Tom,
    Don't recall monkeys but do recall the lizards.
    We were in I-Corps by the sea.
    I was in 2nd Field Force at Long Binh, 8th Target acquisitin Battalion 25th Artillary. No lizards but centipeeds about a foot long with nasty pincers at one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Ranger View Post
    I lost my first post, I'll try again. We never saw rock apes in the area of I Corp we operated in but we had plenty of ***k you lizards. Listen closely to this video. No offense to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1N2ACztZMI

Old SGM
    When I was an adviser we had a monkey, a dog and a f*** you lizard in our hootch. It would start with the monkey sneaking up on the dog and the lizard would chime in.

"Woof! Woof!" "Chitter chitter chitter!" "F*** You! F*** You! F*** You!"

That would go on all night.

8. Default

Its a semi-disrespectfull term for the R.A.F. Regiment.
    "Smart as the Apes on The Rock Of Gibraltar."!