Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Not Dead!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Bought an 8 grave plot decades ago beside a little stream. We call it our waterfront property. Now, there's none left and people are lucky if they can buy a single plot. There are other cemeteries though.

And it is NO joke, something we all need to do now if not already. Passing away leaves enough headaches and problems for our family. Having to find and purchase a grave plot shouldn't be one of them.
    I absolutely agree with you. We bought plots about 10 years ago just to avoid leaving the problem for our children. What was a bit spooky was that two weeks ago we had to go in to Toronto for a funeral that took place in the same cemetery. A bit uncomfortable looking around and thinking that this was where we were going to end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    A bit uncomfortable looking around and thinking that this was where we were going to end up.
    I've had many of the same feelings. Our cemetery is only about 1/2 mile from home so I visit frequently. To overshadow those feelings most of my family is buried there along with people I knew coming up in our small town. The family and town I once knew is there so in that regard I will be going "home".

Bought an 8 grave plot decades ago beside a little stream. We call it our waterfront property. Now, there's none left and people are lucky if they can buy a single plot. There are other cemeteries though.

And it is NO joke, something we all need to do now if not already. Passing away leaves enough headaches and problems for our family. Having to find and purchase a grave plot shouldn't be one of them.
    Find a rural cemetery and donate something for upkeep. They'll usually give you a plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Find a rural cemetery and donate something for upkeep. They'll usually give you a plot.
    The cemetery I prefer is the one I mentioned close to home. I bought the plots back in the 70's when they were dirt cheap. Now the multi grave plots or the family plots are gone. Single plots, if you can talk someone into selling, go for about $1,000 each. I wish I'd bought more way back then but I have all I need. What's filling the cemeteries so quickly are the people moving here.

Only in the very rural areas are more cemeteries being opened. As you know, land is expensive and upkeep is hard work so they aren't numerous.

The cemetery I prefer is the one I mentioned close to home. I bought the plots back in the 70's when they were dirt cheap. Now the multi grave plots or the family plots are gone. Single plots, if you can talk someone into selling, go for about $1,000 each. I wish I'd bought more way back then but I have all I need. What's filling the cemeteries so quickly are the people moving here.

Only in the very rural areas are more cemeteries being opened. As you know, land is expensive and upkeep is hard work so they aren't numerous.
    Cremation and columbariums seem to be the answer. WE were planning to start a cemetery here with our little church, but a member of the congregation was a retired funeral director, and he explained why we shouldn't get into that.

Blog Entries

I told the wife to donate my body to science, (I am already an organ donor)

she said, no, so I will be cremated, and my urn, if I go first, will go in her coffin, (she is being buried in a home town cemetery, near her sister ,, already have the plot)

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I told the wife to donate my body to science, (I am already an organ donor)

she said, no, so I will be cremated, and my urn, if I go first, will go in her coffin, (she is being buried in a home town cemetery, near her sister ,, already have the plot)
    My youngest daughter is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. During her studies, she and her classmates dissected three cadavers. They sent letters to the families, telling them how much they had learned, and how much their family member's donation would help others.

instead of all this talk about cadavers and grave sites, could we please see a picture of the PPK? Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    instead of all this talk about cadavers and grave sites, could we please see a picture of the PPK? Jim
    We DID veer a little off topic. At least we kept the subject of dead.

When you reach a certain age, you begin to understand you are not immortal, and need to prepare.

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori" -- Motto of the Knights of Columbus

(Time Flies, Remember Death)