Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dick, don’t forget about Forager #9 that I used to have and which is now owned by another person who’s name I cannot remember.
    I do recall that it has the early lock plate with the 1873 date, a serrated trigger, an early hammer with the cut knurling,
    the new owner has all of the information I gave him concerning the name of the ancestor of the man from whom I bought it and the name of the South Dakota fort that he served at.
    possibly the man will see this post and will kindly chime in with this information that I can no longer remember.
    I have photos of it but I can’t seem to post them here.

Ok, I?ve managed to email the photos to you Dick.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-25-2022 at 07:29.

Thanks - was out of town for the holiday. I seem to have two Forager s/n lists going - need to combine/correct them - I was aware of 9.

Trying to post again, apologies if this ends up a duplicate.

I did find out more about the Alaska connection. In a book entitled Trapdoor Springfield: The United States Springfield Single-Shot Rifle, 1865-1893 by Waite & Ernst from 1980, two general orders from 1904 are cited, 37 and 46. GO #37 was issued in February of that year and ordered that all companies must turn in their shotguns to Springfield Armory or Rock Island Arsenal. GO #146 (it was a typo in the book) was issued the following September and made an exception for Alaska.

GO 146 stated that, "Shotguns will be issued only to troops stationed in Alaska, for hunting purposes. The annual allowance of ammunition will be 1,000 loaded cartridges per company or troop."

Waite & Ernst suspected this added several years to the service life of the Model 1881, though for general use the gun was recalled in 1904. It's also a little interesting that there's a 1000 loaded cartridge allowance, which seems to bypass the reloading that was expected in 1883.

Still, Flayderman's statement that the last issuance was in Alaska in 1906 is pretty damn specific and would seem to have relied on something more than these two general orders. So, my hunt continues.

If anyone likes reading, I wrote an article on the Forager on my blog in November and have updated it with some of this additional information along with an attempt to evaluate production numbers by year. https://www.openirons.com/2022/11/30...pdoor-shotgun/. Any feedback/corrections are welcome. It is a long form read so bring coffee.

BTW, Dick, per earlier discussion I had attempted to email and DM you via the tools on this site, not sure if any of that got through, but if still interested maybe we can figure out a better communication method. If on Twitter, my username is the same and I can be DM'd there.

Hi Dick
    Just seeing this thread. I acquired an 1881 Forager in 2022 and the serial number is 995.
    Scout

That's a new number. Any details available, like cartouche date? Thanks!

Sent you an email through the forum. If you will reply to give me your email address I can take some photos and send them to you.

richardahosmer comcast dot net at

Dick
    Just sent you an email with 29 photos. Cartouche appears to be 1885 to me.
    Scout

Got 'em - thanks!