Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A question for you english experts

Yesterday a buddy of mine is lining up some friends to go to dinner.

He said we would get together "next Friday", being that yesterday was Wednesday, Nov.16/22 I thought next Friday would mean Nov. 18/22.

When I later questioned him on the date he said "Friday, Nov.25/22".

When I said to him that was 2 Fridays away, He said that Friday the 18th is referred to as "this Friday"

Which is correct?

KTK

Confusing and would need to be clarified, as you did, but I would say he is correct. "This Friday" being 2 days away.

A term I often hear but don't like would be "Friday week" meaning a week from this Friday.

3. Default

This Friday = 18th, next Friday = 25th around here.

Blog Entries

ditto,

as in, I am traveling to a gunshow this friday (tomorrow) and next friday (day after thanksgiving )

the friday week or week from friday applies here too

Blog Entries

and for what it is worth, I speak, spellz, and writes good English, sometimes
    bad English often

and I can understand both Hillbilly and Jive,

6. Default

There is Friday, next Friday, the Friday next, the coming Friday etc. If my friends do not make it clear, I will be there last Friday.

F. Guffey

Well, I certainly appreciate the input, my English is crappy.

Mind you that did not prevent me from teaching English in Tehran in the 70's. small wonder those poor immigrants have such a hard time making themselves understood when they come here.

But I needed the money.

KTK

The way I've always understood it is; this Friday is the Friday of the week you're in. Next Friday is the Friday in the week upcoming. A general rule not set in stone. Language, by nature, is often imprecise.

When people (shooters, no less) can't agree to differentiate between Clips and Magazines or bullets and cartridges. There is no end to any argument.

Quote Originally Posted by High Plaines Doug r View Post
    When people (shooters, no less) can't agree to differentiate between Clips and Magazines or bullets and cartridges. There is no end to any argument.
    Yeah . . . .I see that all the time . . . .and from people that should know better . . .

Recently, I caught an easily-recognized, internet ?gunny? referring to the CHAMBERS of his revolver, as CYLINDERS! (All revolvers I?ve seen contain only ONE cylinder . . .not SIX!)

These ?slip of the tongues? make the hair on the back of my neck stand up!