Default All Quiet On The Western Front

Yesterday, Veterans Day, I watched the third film version of Erich Maria Remarque's 1929 book, All Quiet On The Western Front. I have never read the book. The original is in German, which I do not speak/read. I have, however, seen the 1930 B/W film of the same name. And again in 1979, a television movie of the same name starring Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine. All good. This latest iteration released this year is a 2.5 hr. color version in German. I don't mind subtitles, so this was an easy pick for a lazy, rainy Veterans Day. The story doesn't vary much from the book or other earlier films, but the delivery is grittier and more horrific in its depiction of WWI trench fighting gore. There's always some technical, weapon-related goofs that irritate, but overall was realistic in how rifles, machine guns and armor of the period functioned and sounded. I will let you find your own faults, but here are a couple that irked me. As an owner of a Mauser in 8mm, I was annoyed with the lack of kick of the rifles in the film. Even Hollywood doesn't get this right, so let's move on. At one point, the main character was aiming at entrenched French enemy and was aiming down the sights with the rifle on "safe," with the safety selector vertical blocking his line of sight. On the other hand, they used realistic-looking French armor like the St. Chamond with its famous 75mm forward gun. They may have been CGI, but they looked great and are rarely seen in film. Anyway...best film I have seen in a while and wanted to draw it to your attention.

Edited to add a teaser:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqgmaO15x4
    Last edited by Liam; 11-12-2022 at 07:30. Reason: sp
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    . . . . . .The story doesn't vary much from the book or other earlier films, . . . . .
    I couldn’t DISAGREE with you more . . . . .

I also watched the two previous films and thought they were much, much better than this Netflix “bomb.”

The first 1930 film was better than the 1979 version.