Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Personally I think there was some sadistic SOB at Springfield, and after work one day stopped off at the local bar with some of his fellow workers. After several drinks he said "Hey! I know how we can screw with weapons collectors in the future. Let's start stamping all the parts with numbers! And every so often, we'll change the number on the part and leave no paperwork explaining why. That'll drive 'em nuts!"

Then another guy chimed in with "Yeah, we'll call the changes "revisions" and add a sequential number to the part. And sometimes we'll put a dash between the part number and the revision number, and sometimes we won't."

Then a third guy (a real wise guy) said "Hey! And then we'll stop marking certain parts and put no number at all!"

They all went home laughing their a$$es off!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
    Here is a closeup of the paper.
    Thank you sir,that is what I was looking for.

Chris,
    Thanks for the correction, it had been so long since I looked at that paper that I had forgotten that it did concern the kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    No , that IS part of the kit. That is the tag that was on the "shipping box" the kit was orig. packed in. The kit IS the M-1912. The DWG is the sheet of paper where all the specs and line drawings of the kit can be found. The "D" indicates the size of the sheet ( therefor what drawers it would be found ) and 35400 is the sheet number. These are the same numbers found on garand parts , like bolts , for example, that collectors go googoo over to find the right -x revision number to make correct. ISN and SNL numbers are for inventory control and reference to info on what is in the box without having to open it.
    Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Personally I think there was some sadistic SOB at Springfield, and after work one day stopped off at the local bar with some of his fellow workers. After several drinks he said "Hey! I know how we can screw with weapons collectors in the future. Let's start stamping all the parts with numbers! And every so often, we'll change the number on the part and leave no paperwork explaining why. That'll drive 'em nuts!"

Then another guy chimed in with "Yeah, we'll call the changes "revisions" and add a sequential number to the part. And sometimes we'll put a dash between the part number and the revision number, and sometimes we won't."

Then a third guy (a real wise guy) said "Hey! And then we'll stop marking certain parts and put no number at all!"

They all went home laughing their a$$es off!
    Actually either Major Culver or Gus Fisher related an armorer in the 70's was going to add some markings hidden under the stock just to tick off collectors on some sniper rifles.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

5. Default

Is the grease/parts can galvanized finish? If so, probably a WWII repack.

It does look galvanized. I guess I should look for a brass finished one.